OCI interval Cummins

Looking for what input on longest OCI I could expect for an engine, its going to be in a 65ft steel sailboat (so heavy, displacement hull) that i'm starting to build. It will be 10 years before this is complete and I'm retired and out on the ocean but this is an endeavor of planning so I thought it would be fun to get some input from everyone here.

As I said, large displacement hull vessel, 1989 6bt Cummins VE pump non-intercooled (I've already started on this motor build and collecting parts its stripped down in my shop right now waiting to go to machine shop) and will be freshly rebuilt (head studs, main studs, likely .20 over, water cooled exhaust manifold and turbo, and coupled to a 2.5 to 1 marine reduction transmission)

This engine will see very little idling, although used in the tropics (mainly, there will be some high latitude trips but engine temps will never get low as it is obviously inside the heated boat) it could go weeks without starting or be used for days on end. The engine will be keel cooled (think radiator is the side of the hull so cooling is virtually unlimited, and water cooled exhaust with waterlock lift muffler) so it wont be running super hot, although it will be run hard when used pushing this large vessel.

I have a standard truck oil pan (cant find a larger one) and I have a stockpile of lf3894 fleetgaurd stratpore filters, as well as a dual eabp 110 amsoil filters for byapss filter system (so total oil capacity will be around 4 gallons)

Fuel will be spotless as it will be run thru a dual 10 and 5 micron Racor for fuel polishing in main tanks and then thru a stepped filter system with CAT filters 20/10/2 micron before going to day tank and then engine.

I have a stockpile of all these filters and about 50 gallons of Rotella t6 15-40 in 2.5 gallon jugs as I may be in places where I cant find these or it is cost prohibitive for long periods of time. And this is what drives my inquiry into OCI, oil sample analysis is also probably not going to be available.

thoughts?

Last edited:
Call Cummins for a starting point. Or do oil analysis , that engine is probably expen$ive.

Last edited:
I'm more concerned with time than hours, and dont know thats its really a specific cummins question (doesnt get more simple and basic than a 6bt 12 valve), or that cummins would answer based on my situation vs what their marine engine service interval says, which I can readily look up, but my situation is quite different than what these b series engines are usually used for in marine applications (ie trawlers and sport fishing boats) and any use of an engine like this in a sailboat would be a custom bespoke boat where money is of no object so they'd just stick to the engine manual. I was really looking for complications and issues I hadnt thought of, and or experience from those that run bypass systems and are shooting for long OCI's and especially over longer periods of time vs mileage / hours.

I hope you’re not stockpiling oil and filters for 10 years from now.

Oil could have additive fallout or other issues. Adhesives and rubber items on filters could start to degrade.

I’ve run old filters, and maybe it’s a non-issue, but just a thought.

Sounds like a fun project. Lots of people in the islands living on boats… many not so nice… but it sounds like this one will be exactly how you want it. Hope you post pictures as you work on it and then travel aboard it.

I was under the impression sealed oil didnt really go bad, I hope it doesn't. Most of it i got when ordering 1 gallon T6 from walmart online and by the time i got to the store to pick it up they were out of 1 gallons and substituted it for the 2.5 gallon jugs for the 1 gallon price and i though id just save those for the boat later.

I do have all the filters but they are individually vacuumed sealed with cortec paper and desiccant packs, so i cant imagine them going bad, i guess ill find out down the road.

I was under the impression sealed oil didnt really go bad, I hope it doesn't. Most of it i got when ordering 1 gallon T6 from walmart online and by the time i got to the store to pick it up they were out of 1 gallons and substituted it for the 2.5 gallon jugs for the 1 gallon price and i though id just save those for the boat later.

I do have all the filters but they are individually vacuumed sealed with cortec paper and desiccant packs, so i cant imagine them going bad, i guess ill find out down the road.
The oil will be fine. Give it a shake and pour it in. Oil going bad is a myth. It’s been in the ground for longer than you’ll have it.

Just my $0.02

Back