OCI Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

Hope everyone is well. I wanted to get some guidance regarding two of my vehicles OCIs.

1. Mazda CX-9 – Mazda recommends conventional – 6 months or 7,500. I am running synthetic 5w-20 and plan to do 1 year or 6,000. Sump is 5.5 qts. Don’t consider severe service...plenty of highway, etc.

2. Dodge Durango RT (5.9L) – Dodge recommends conventional – 6 months or 6,000. I am running synthetic 10w-30 and plan to do 1 year intervals (less than 2k a year in mileage). Sump is 5 qts. Don’t consider severe service...plenty of highway, etc.

My main worry is not the mileage but a year on synthetic (which goes against 6 month on conventional). Thanks again to everyone on this site.

You're doing exactly what I'd be doing.

You could even run it for 2-3 years on the Durango.

Thanks Nick. I am probably too conservative...just not use to doing yearly OCIs on vehicles that ask for 6 months on conventional...just wanted to make sure my thinking was good.

Thanks Garak. Should probably do a UOA in a year to see for sure...perhaps learning I can go longer. Appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Hello All,

Hope everyone is well. I wanted to get some guidance regarding two of my vehicles OCIs.

1. Mazda CX-9 – Mazda recommends conventional – 6 months or 7,500. I am running synthetic 5w-20 and plan to do 1 year or 6,000. Sump is 5.5 qts. Don’t consider severe service...plenty of highway, etc.

2. Dodge Durango RT (5.9L) – Dodge recommends conventional – 6 months or 6,000. I am running synthetic 10w-30 and plan to do 1 year intervals (less than 2k a year in mileage). Sump is 5 qts. Don’t consider severe service...plenty of highway, etc.

My main worry is not the mileage but a year on synthetic (which goes against 6 month on conventional). Thanks again to everyone on this site.

Hello
Did mazda really recommends conventional over synthetic?
Interesting!!!
Anyway...
It is fine for synthetics
Dont worry
Actually synthetics are more durable than conventional
About 18 month in sump is okay for synthentics
But if you are traveling short distances and lots of start/stop in 1 year you should be careful because oil will become more oxidate than normal condition

Thanks Garak. Should probably do a UOA in a year to see for sure...perhaps learning I can go longer. Appreciate it.

It is well worth it. I learned that one of my vehicle's OLM is too optimistic, no harm no foul I never went by it. Another vehicle my 5K OCI is spot on. I'd say your OCI is sound, but I would invest in a UOA. You might be able to stretch it a bit.

You certainly could run a UOA to make sure, and I would wager you'd be pleasantly surprised.

arvin_amarth: The conventional recommendation we often see in North America is just designed to give a minimum, rather than a "preference" for conventional over synthetic. It's still seen in some Japanese vehicles here, notably Infiniti/Nissan, where they call for a 0w-20 (which will be a blend or a synthetic) with 5w-30 conventional being offered as an alternative grade (when clearly a synthetic would be fine, too). The only "requirement" for a conventional I've seen might be the rotaries.

Agree with the UOA plan... then you will know for sure.

Also, isn't the CX-9 the turbo model specified for 5w30?

Originally Posted By: Kuato

The OP has a 2012 model with the Ford engine.

I've run dino oils for multi-year OCIs.

You can easily go a year on syn without breaking a sweat. If you cannot, then what did you pay for?

You're grossly underestimating the lube capabilities. Oil has zero idea of how long it has been in the crankcase.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: Kuato

The OP has a 2012 model with the Ford engine.

Ah ok thanks.

Wow. Thanks bigt61. Appreciate it. Guess I am being way too OCD. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back