OCI for Bobcat MT85, Kubota diesel

My son has a one year old Bobcat MT85 mini track loader that gets regular use and abuse in his business. It has a Kubota 3 cylinder diesel engine, 24.8 HP. His Bobcat dealer did the first OC at 50 hours, like the owners manual says. But the dealer insists that the next OCI is 500 hours. The manual says 100 hour intervals are recommended but can be extended with use of synthetic engine oil.

I have not talked to the dealer, but both the service writer and the shop's mechanic insist on 500 hours as the next service. Any Bobcat owner/operators out there with opinions on this?

100 hours wouldn't be bad. The Bobcat is pricey do the drive as well..
banana2.gif

In the Military I was taught 50 hours conventional, 100 semi-synthetic, and 200 full synthetic...

I bet the dealer is thinking hydraulic oil...

Heavy equipment use to always be 250 hours for service, but now most oems say 500hr service. I don't believe in running a piece of equipment that long even with full synthetic oil, because of fuel dilution. I say 250hr conventional and 350hr synthetic oil.

The Bobcat dealer told me this morning that in the past 2-3 months Bobcat has shortened its OCI for some of its machines, including the MT 85, with a corresponding change to its owners manuals. Thanks for notifying the owners!! I'm guessing the reason for the change is that Bobcat has had to replace too many engines under warranty.

Last edited:
More likely they shortened the OCI to try catch more people not heeding to the new OCI's and being able to deny warranty....

The manual for my Kubota V2203 (probably older than your engine) specifies oil change every 100 hours and oil filter every 200 hours. Filters are cheap, so I just do both together.

The manual for my Kubota V2203 (probably older than your engine) specifies oil change every 100 hours and oil filter every 200 hours. Filters are cheap, so I just do both together.
Yes - Kubota OCI was raised to 200hrs from 100hrs....100hrs oil and filter is great.

Back