OCI for 2007 Duramax

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long are you guys running dino HDEO oil in your trucks? If I follow my oil change monitor, I should be about 9500 miles. I would have no problems doing this w/ synthetic oil, but I am uncomfortable w/ DINO oil. I plan to do some UOAs, but I wanted to get some mileage on the engine before doing so.

I am hoping to start running synthetic Rotella or Delvac1 and running to 0% or about 10k miles between changes - and not having to worry about UOAs at every change. I'll probably spring for the UOA once per year.

I run about 30k per year and tow between 3k and 10k for about 10% of these miles. The rest will be commuting in Dallas traffic.

Thanks in advance!

I have looked at many UOAs, but havent' found any w/ the Duramax and no bypass filter - past about 6k on the oil... Perhaps I have missed some, but I would love to see a UOA w/ 10k, no bypass, and on DELO...

scottjima - I've always been somewhat skeptical of the OLM, but I'm beginning to have some faith in it after seeing UOA results compared with the OLM of Dmax engines.

I too have a Dmax. I'm just beginning a long term study of OLM and UOA's for my truck. I have only 11k miles on it now, so it will not be conclusive for quite some time.

Further, know that a Dmax has a better-than-normal full flow oil fitler. It's "nominal" rating is 8um. Most nearly any other diesel FF filter is around 20um nominal. While certainly not as good as the absolute ratings of bypass filtration, it is clearly well above the tradtional standards set by most filters. There was a post several months ago on http://www.dieselplace.com about a person who had around 400k miles on his Dmax, with traditional services rendered.

You have nothing to fear from 10k OCI's and dino's in the Dmax; it is a very easy engine on oil, relative to it's typical use. I would certainly suggest UOA's along the way to confirm such service, but it is certainly attainable at that mileage.

GM offers their dealer network Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40. Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 is also an option for the dealers to purchase through GM as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back