OCI 2005 dodge ram diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i've noticed that i'm a about 2 months from having a year on my current fill of mobil delvac 1300 and napa platinum filter. On the other hand, it only has about 2k miles on it. Is there any consensus that it needs to be changed at a year or can it go longer? I really havent used it all for any heavy towing in this OCI and i also try to drive it at least 30 minutes a week. Any thoughts?

The current Amsoil magazine they mail to dealers and preferred buyers has an article about this topic. They say 1 year regardless of mileage is max for age.

I know the Dodge Ram diesel takes a lot of oil. At the least I would change the filter as that is the most likely to have a problem with age. Possible problem is the media or glue disintegrating. Even though the end caps are metal, the media is glued in to keep it in place.

Filter media coming appart due to contact with oil? Maybe it's possible, but I think it would be a much more common thing if it happened much at all. Maybe a better filter quality? To me, I would look at the weather in my reqion and relative humidity and if is garage kept etc. 2000 miles and the oil should still be transparent with a good filter for the Cummins like the Fleetguard Stratapore. Oh say that you have a 2005. I just sold a 2005 and they are really bad for putting soot into the oil, as they have a thrid injection event that tends to soot load the oil. FDon't bother with the Amsiol or synthetic fill, just change at around 5k miles or so, using a good dino oil. I could never get the oil to get clean with the stratapore filter like the mechanical injection and VP44 injected Cummins.

Anyway, if the TBN of the oil is high when new, then I'd be more inclined to leave it longer than a year. Also considering the volume of oil, at the lower RPM of the diesel it will get pumped through less than a 4 liter sump gas car turning higher rpm etc.

At least extend it to a year and a half or something.

As to the adhesives on the filter media, take a look at the current hydraulic excavators and the hydraulic oil temps they run. ie very high, and the filters stay in there for a long time, and don't seem to have issues.

I'm not saying it won't or couldn't happen, just that it's very unlikely.

It's also very convenient for an oil manufacturer to spec a max 1 year life regardless of mileage.

Put it another way... You will likely never know the difference if you changed at mileage only.

I'd focus on changing your stock injectors before they leak and burn your pistons out at around 150k. These injectors need 7 micron filtration, and the Dodge filter is only a 10 micron. The Cummins fleetguard is a 7 micron. The Baldwin PF7977 or something like that is a 5 micron filter.

2k miles in one year? That oil and filter could easily go longer. I've done 2 and 3 year OCIs with HDEOs and "normal" filters on my Kubota, Scag and old Mustang because my annual use was low. There are some decent historical UOAs here to prove that oil does not go bad at the one-year mark. That artificial limit is a warranty protection tool from the lube makers. While I cannot blame them for doing so, there is proof that going longer than 1 year is easily doable and can be done safely.

However, when Devlac is running a $5/gallon rebate, the cost of an OCI isn't overwhelming.

Do what you see fit. Get a UOA to make yourself a bit more at ease. Just know that running past 1 year is not a cause for doom to the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
That artificial limit is a warranty protection tool from the lube makers. While I cannot blame them for doing so, there is proof that going longer than 1 year is easily doable and can be done safely.

Agreed. A time based OCI is great for those who drive a mile or two a day, every day, or some such usage that's bound to drive up fuel dilution and condensation.

As an owner of an '06 Ram w/the 5.9 Cummins that doesn't get used a lot-as long as you take it out and WORK IT regularly-you could go 3 years without changing the oil (@ 2K/yr.)-but if you have a newer DPF equipped truck or use it as a short trip grocery-getter, then you'll need to change it at least yearly. That's why mine doesn't get driven much, only when something heavy needs towed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back