OC Methodology...

Status
Not open for further replies.
since I am a thick guy and there is one of those plastic scoop things under the bumper on our current ride I have to use ramps, pull the drain plug and filler cap cover filler opening with clean rag to keep out bad stuff pull the filter and let all drain then oil new filter gasket and install, replace drain plug, refill with Amsoil, let vehicle down off ramps recheck oil level... enjoy for another year!
beer3.gif

ALWAYS USE JACK STANDS IF YOU USE A JACK TO RAISE THE VEHICLE DO NOT COUNT ON THE JACK TO HOLD THE VEHICLE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. :no-no:

on our last ride I was able to do it without the need of ramps as it sat a little higher.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I use Rhino Ramps. They are certified to 12,000 lbs and are plastic (I keep them in my garage, out of sunlight).

Any suggestion where to get a set? Typical price? Thanks.

Personally, I don't like driving the car up the ramps, I had a feeling that if I do I may overrun the ramps and make a big mess. I know that most have no problems whatever driving the car up the ramps, but not me.

If I don't have fluid extractor to vacuum the oil through the dipstick, I would buy jack stands to do oil change under the cars.

DIY always after an OC nerd stripped a drain bolt.
mad.gif

T4R 4x4 no jack...plenty of clearance
Rav4 no jack needed
ES350 floor jack to lift 12" is all that is needed.

3 Toyota products...an infant could change the oil on them

1. Drive car/truck for 5-10 minutes to warm up oil
2. Park car and use a jack on both front sides and lift it
2A. Crawl under truck
3. Drain oil & change filter
4. Add severely discounted oil and Motorcraft filter
5. Drive it like my grandma is driving

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Personally, I don't like driving the car up the ramps, I had a feeling that if I do I may overrun the ramps and make a big mess. I know that most have no problems whatever driving the car up the ramps, but not me.

I get the same tinge of nervousness. I've never overrun the ramps, but once I nearly took my father's leg off at the knee when a Rhino Ramp shot out the front and barely missed him. Strange considering I was driving up the ramps and not down them. If you're using Rhino Ramps, be sure not to lose the rubber inserts--they do make a difference on smooth concrete surfaces. Once the car's in place, though, I really appreciate the stability of ramps Vs. jack stands.

Oil changes are easy if I'm not replacing the filter. Park the car after a drive, slide a drip pan underneath, and open the Fumoto valve. Go have dinner or whatnot. Close the Fumoto valve and pour in some new oil. Old oil gets funneled into a gallon milk container and dropped off at AutoZone.

I really thing I am getting hosed on the cartridge filters my Ecotec takes, but, air dam and all, I can change oil with my Cavalier flat on the garage floor. I can reach the drain plug, and the filter is up top.

2 stage ramp setup, drive up the wooden planks, then up the ramp, either steel, or Rhino, i own 2 steel and 1 rhino. engine should be warm or hot. if drain plug is one one side or the other, just use one ramp, so vehicle is tilted to be sure all the oil drains out. i have about 3 oil filter wrenches, a nice universal 3 pronged one usually does a good job. i drain into a nice big plastic pan with a built in pouring part, to pour used oil into big black jug purchased at wal mart, refill crankcase with correct oil, after putting on new filter (unless old filter still good). get off ramps, check oil level several times. put everything away, oil gets disposed off at garage, that burns it for fuel, so they do not charge a "disposal fee".

i need to get me some ramps. the jack/jackstand thing is getting old
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I use Rhino Ramps. They are certified to 12,000 lbs and are plastic (I keep them in my garage, out of sunlight).

Any suggestion where to get a set? Typical price? Thanks.

Found them at TSC, $49/pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back