Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
It strikes me that a lot of oil nationwide could be saved by using a by pass filter and a replenishment package for the additives. Of course it could be that the designers have taken into account the time it takes to break down the base oil and the time the additive package runs out of potency. I kind of due that when I change oil filters at 6k miles and top off with Mobil 1. Is there a market for an "Oil Replenisher" I wonder?? Mobil for example, could sell a "top off" mix for 6k mile filter changes that adds a lot of punch back to the original oil still in the car. Course, there will always be some dumbie who uses it as oil...

A lot of oil could definitely be saved with the use of bypass filtration, however the cost scares a lot of people off. Plus people that tend to change cars a lot (like me) are afraid to get into it too. I do realize I could take the bypass stuff off the car and transfer it over though. I also think that even without bypass filtration you can still get long life out of an engine. The single biggest waste of oil in North America is the 3k/3mo oil change. I constantly argue with people that this is outdated. SL oils now last longer, keep the engine cleaner, and new engines have less blowby than old ones, so why do people still stick with 3k/3mo??
dunno.gif

I think that for many people, they get a real good feeling from crawling under their auto and changing oil every 3k miles. One guy even said as much in the link you provided, but I have always observed that aspect in many individuals. Nothing you say, and no report will change their minds especially if they can find some antidotal story of cousin Herman who changed at 5k and his car engine blew up(why it blew, who knows). My own feeling is that 5-6k on group 2 oil is perfectly exceptable as long as you make sure to carry a top off quart in your trunk.

I once had a friend who owned a Colt and who did a lot of driving and simply drove the car out of oil. She was in such a hurry that while she knew she needed to put some oil in it, she thought she could "make it", and didn't feel she had time to stop into a store just to buy a quart. Irony was, when I went to clean out the trunk, there sat a nice, unopened quart of oil just waiting. "Take care of your butt cause it carries you"!!

[ July 19, 2002, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Eric, Good idea, but reality sets in.

Unfortunately, each engine is as different as the drivers and the driver's DNA.

What I would propose is an instant oil analyzer that you would put down the dipstick tube. It would analyze the components in the oil and dispinse the correct amount of additives + base oil. It would be driven by Artificial Intelligence software and connected to a database that has characteristics of each brand of oil in the world, with engine characteristics.

Then again, you could use synthetics or part-synthetics to extend oil drain intervals. Extended oil drain intervals save oil, too.

Whichever you choose, execute oil analyses and develop trends. You may find your oil has more life than just 3k miles!

Terry, do you see a patent here??
tongue.gif

Well... I've been using Mobil 1 now, changing out at 10k, 12k and even 15k with a filter change every 5-6k. Even the Mobil one might do well to be a little more heavily freshened up then merely topped off with more Mobil 1, especially at 10k going to 15k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back