Objectivity and Delvac 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spector, No offense taken,

"We need two or three more participants with terry's background (he continues to inform us that the rest of us are babes in the woods on interpreting analysis but I can live with the arrogance"

Lets put it this way, if it wasn't for Bob wanting to develop a NO SPIN ZONE for automotive lubes and my stepping out of proprietary testing only consulting, the participants on this board would still be at Noria trying to figure out what the little # with a W next to it means on a bottle of motor oil.

I hope I don't come off as arrogant because I am not the only one in the world with Automotive lubes knowledge ! I'm always learning and do not have all the answers.

Bottom line is that those with the knowledge base you seek are working for companies that do not allow them to post here at least not with their real name. Also they do not have the time to do something with 0 upside professionally or profitably.

Being independent I can. And so far its been fun.

There are those like Mola who can chime in here quite favorably as does Ted, there are those who lurk and cannot or will not post for whatever reasons. We won't all agree all the time.

Back to RL and their formulation theories.

The formulation is solid because the primary base stock is stronger than the other brands mentioned, the add package is well suited to the base oils.

Synthetics that rely on primarily PAO and a standard add package are not as strong. Regardless of name brand. If Mobil1 made a automotive TMP polyol ester based oil with 600 ppm of Mo and solid analysis results we might be discussing why I like it too !
Note, XOM does make that kind of oil but for turbines and special auto race formulations !

The reason Redline uses such a large load of Mo and other adds is that the base oil formulation can support it. A group 1-4 oil can't support that add load.

The Chemist at RL that came from lubrizol was ahead of his time on that theory of formulation and continues to build a pretty solid and robust oil.

I would keep an eye out for VP racing fuels ester bsed motor oils formulations as a new player in advanced technology, and they use 0 moly.

Terry

Where can I buy Omnioil?

Should I buy the orange label or gold label?

lol.gif

Hi,
Tyrolkid - it must be green and smell like daisies. Use only the -20W-10 viscosity as it pours like Earl Grey at 6.00am
Available at any K Mart in Kabaul
Should have a batch number between 1 and 354 million and be from the Fiji refinery

Joke Joke

Regards

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrolkid:
Where can I buy Omnioil?

Should I buy the orange label or gold label?

lol.gif

Tyrolkid,

It's available at Omni-Mart...but you have to be careful...don't get the bottle with the blue label; it is made in Liechtenstein. You want the taupe label that says "Made in Burkhistan from only Burkhistanian crude." It smells like fetta cheese and is the color of a Merlot. The 10 gallon jugs used to be a bargain, but Omni-Mart has recently raised the price.
grin.gif

PS The rates have also gone up on forklift rental to get the jugs to your car.

Guys, lets be objective, Proline Oil at Pepboys is the best oil in the world.
grin.gif

Hi,I expect to get UOA on D-1 from my '99 Ford E150 Van,4.2L six gasser(5K/7 months),in January.That's to compare with a UOA on Syntec 5w-50.
If we were all in a bar, the OIL would be flying!
Ofcourse,some would be drinking it anyway. Bottoms
up!
lol.gif

If you guy want to see a whole mess of UOA on Delvac 1 go to tdiclub.com there are many many Uoa ...though they are all ran on Volkswagon TDI s they are there..and they show very very good ###

quote:

Originally posted by Tim H.:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
While I agree that there are a few--the true tribologists and analysts like Bob, MolaKule and Terry (there are others)--who participate on this board that can be considered objective, most of us can only hope to approach objectivity. I believe there are a lot of participants who, because they have seen a number of UOAs, or have done some independent "research," THINK they are able to be objective in these discussions, when, in fact, they are only being "enlightened subjectivists"

I don't understand why you say this, it is because we have people like Bob, Terry, Molekule, etc. that we can be objective. When I look at something on this site, I look at UOA's, and people like the above who KNOW something about these products to aid in my decision on using them. UOA's in my opinion are proof of a products worthiness. If I see good UOA's, and also see Joe's 67' ford truck has 350,000 miles on Omnioil, I think Joe would have at least some proof that teh Omnioil was working. How is that being 'enlightened subjective'??

Tim H.,

You misunderstand what I was driving at...not your fault, a limitation of email. What I was getting at is not that Joe can't look at his UOAs or have an analysis done and make an objective decision about his oil choice. What I was getting at is that we seem to have some participants who decry the lack of objectivity in other members when, in fact, they haven't shown to me that their credentials are such that they are operating from technical or scientific objectivity either (meaning they speak from a scientific/technical data-supported position as opposed to opinion or bias). Some of our members do throw out some wildly subjective assertions, I admit, but just because one member is less bombastic in what he or she says does not mean he or she is operating from pure objectivity either and should accuse the more opinionated among us. The bottom line I was driving at is what are members willing to accept? If they realize that 90+% of our members are amateurs in this field (not professional chemists, tribologists, analysts, etc) and based on their own experience with motor oils and their observation of various engine/oil combinatiions in UOAs and other factors, they are giving sincere, realistic, but non-expert advice, then their expectations are reasonable. If they insist on members providing info at the expert, but never at the subjective level, then their expectations are too high and their opinion of themselves probably is as well. This is an enthusiasts board blessed by the presence of a few bonified experts. It is not the Stanford University Triboligical Forum. Will there be some off-the-wall comments from time to time...sure; do we need, at times, to "encourage" one another to think about what we are posting...sure; should we expect purely non-emotional, coldly analytical exchange...we can expect it, but it's not going to happen...and I think if it did, we'd lose a lot of participation. Why can't we just strive toward a board that is informative, useful, and enjoyable (yes, meaning, "fun") to participate in?

[ October 13, 2003, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Although exotic engine oils and lubricants are an interesting subject, few of us really need their capabilities.
Lets look at the Red-line bashing by you know who, and is now a preferred customer of you know what:
Is Red-line in the SL/CI-4 extended drain business? Naw, their customer base is in the racing circles.
Is Chevron with their Delo line in the racing business? Naw, they are in the extended service interval commercial business.
Now a bad engine or state of tune, can make a good oil look like an also-ran and visa-versa. A good engine can make a medicore department store engine oil look good.
Drivers and operating conditions also play a huge part in the UOA results.
For example, I am a pro driver. I take my frieght train driving serious, and as a result I am very easy on the equipment.
Some of the other guys, say 3 or 4, I'd rather not comment on.
I know nothing about engine oil or lubricants, but I can hold my own with the best on a few automotive topics after 15 years in the _______ buisness.
I like to troll and stir the pot when ever the opprotunity presents....

Hi,
Ron - yes the "Bali incident" has ruined the area's economy and hurt so many people

You were lucky not to have been involved

The local tourism industry has benefited at the expense of the poor Bali locals as Aussies stay home in droves

All for a cause with no ending

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back