Obesity rate map of Europe

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
If this map is correct, looks like the Italian diet allows for great cuisine and lean body composition.

Disclosure- this map was funded by the Italian pasta producer's association.

432507629_903702491760827_7669158700321623813_n.jpg

On top of my head as other reasons:

1. EU has very strict, much stricter than US< regulations on what additives can be added to food.
2. Very urban environment. People are just far more physically active.

I am in Europe very often, and regardless that I drink and eat more than here, I always lose 10 lbs over 2 weeks. I never use a car (unless for business, if I need to go somewhere), and generally, people are just more active. Take into consideration that their map has red 30%, in the US rate is 40%.

Nothing wrong with consuming stuff with excessive sugar when you excessively run 30ish miles per week. I must consume more fats and oils with all this protein and vitamins.

Italy does eat some pasta but they burn it off

They eat less sugar and terrible ingredients. Most foods are whole- less processed and more fresh

They are not afraid of eating fats and oils which is the real weakness of the USA food recommendations
That and high fructose corn syrup is in everything in the USA. I'm now starting to see packaging with "No HFCS" on it but it took way too long for this to happened

If this map is correct, looks like the Italian diet allows for great cuisine and lean body composition.

Disclosure- this map was funded by the Italian pasta producer's association.

View attachment 209060

The few times I've been there it always seems that portions, especially protein, a lot smaller in Italy. This is in addition to the obvious fact that Italians still do a lot of walking/cycling.

Reactions: GON
People walk or bike everywhere in a lot of those countries. Even the old people are out walking around. My guess is that has as much to do with it as diet.

Sugar is the real problem. Once you start consuming excessive amounts of sugar and insulin resistance begins, it's an uphill battle where the hill becomes steeper and steeper as the indulgence continues. Italians and most central Europeans consume very little sugar (by comparison) and also walk quite a bit more than us in the USA.

Italians average 5,296 steps a day compared to Americans at 4,774 steps a day. (Per 2017 data)

A bigger factor in obesity is the activity gap. The USA has one of the largest inequalities in activity among societal classes. Compared to the lower class, the middle class is +77% more active and upper class is +101% more active. The activity inequality and economic inequality likely effect one another as a better economic status allows one to afford a healthier lifestyle, and that healthier lifestyle promotes higher confidence and self-esteem to be more successful. For example, the USA and Mexico have nearly identical average steps per day (4,774 vs 4,692) but the US has a much larger activity gap reflective of a much higher obesity rate. Italy has a much smaller activity gap than the USA, on top of higher average steps per day, and thus their obesity rate is a fraction of ours.

The few times I've been there it always seems that portions, especially protein, a lot smaller in Italy. This is in addition to the obvious fact that Italians still do a lot of walking/cycling.
It just hit me. Could afternoon naps truly pay a benefit when it comes to weight?

It just hit me. Could afternoon naps truly pay a benefit when it comes to weight?
Perhaps? Pure swag here: could it be a lifestyle that accommodates such activities? a lifestyle that isn’t 100%. I recall growing up in the 80’s reading that Americans got the least amount of vacation days—and then proceeded to not take all of them. Highly productive, but with shorter lifes.

Not saying it’s any one variable. And that you can’t find workaholics over there, or slouchers here. But on a whole? better diet, more active, and better work-life balance? there’s probably a couple other factors but could they all work together?

Perhaps? Pure swag here: could it be a lifestyle that accommodates such activities? a lifestyle that isn’t 100%. I recall growing up in the 80’s reading that Americans got the least amount of vacation days—and then proceeded to not take all of them. Highly productive, but with shorter lifes.

Not saying it’s any one variable. And that you can’t find workaholics over there, or slouchers here. But on a whole? better diet, more active, and better work-life balance? there’s probably a couple other factors but could they all work together?
Interesting post. Maybe me think what impact does multiple generations living under one roof equate to when it comes to obesity.

It was years ago when I read it, but I recall an article saying that splitting up the sleep cycle is better for heart health and general awareness and activity. Instead of sleeping 8 hours at once, sleep was broken up into 4 hours at night (1-5 am) and 4 hours in the afternoon (1-5 pm). I didn't dig deeper into it though.

• Wow
Reactions: GON
Interesting post. Maybe me think what impact does multiple generations living under one roof equate to when it comes to obesity.
Same roof, or same town. I could see that. Not sure about it for longevity, but for maturity? Grow up seeing the generations ahead of you and what life is like for them, see what happens when we get old, etc. Helps keep life in perspective. And if you can keep good family ties, then surely that must help, since man social animal and seems to do better in social groups. Perhaps growing in a good, diverse family helps persons when they they go out into the world and have to move and make new friends, or at least gives a good fallback.

We like to find root cause for things, and hope it’s a singular item. That way we can take a pill and fix it. Obesity, crime rate, several other ills. Methinks it’s not any one thing but a complex mix of interacting factors.

Back