OBD, wheel speed sensor

OK, it does have an ABS sub menu, but only if there are ABS codes. And the only code under the ABS menu was that same U1225 code, which according to code connect is most likely an ignition switch (replaced maybe 2 months ago already ( or Body Control Module. Interesting, but I bet it's wiring though.

IMG_20221007_165045584.jpg
IMG_20221007_165106819.jpg
IMG_20221007_165132860.jpg

I'm looking at purchasing a plug-in scan tool but for my minimal DIY usage, I'm putting my budget at just around $100. There's a couple INNOVA scanners in that range (5110 or 5210), Harbor Freight's ZURICH scanners (appear to be re-badged INNOVA), and I've seen some AUTEL on Amazon. Even the lower-cost INNOVA says it reads ABS for my model car. I'd love to see "live data" for the wheel speed sensors but I really don't think I need that. I haven't researched the AUTELs much at all yet.

I do have an app called "NDS" for Nissan Data Scan (I paid for the full version too) and it says it speaks "Consult III" (Nissan's protocol). My son has my OBD adapter so I can't try it right now. I'm not certain if the Android version does as much as the Windows PC version though. It seems like I need to connect the car to try and enable readings.

I'm looking at purchasing a plug-in scan tool but for my minimal DIY usage, I'm putting my budget at just around $100. There's a couple INNOVA scanners in that range (5110 or 5210), Harbor Freight's ZURICH scanners (appear to be re-badged INNOVA), and I've seen some AUTEL on Amazon. Even the lower-cost INNOVA says it reads ABS for my model car. I'd love to see "live data" for the wheel speed sensors but I really don't think I need that. I haven't researched the AUTELs much at all yet.

I do have an app called "NDS" for Nissan Data Scan (I paid for the full version too) and it says it speaks "Consult III" (Nissan's protocol). My son has my OBD adapter so I can't try it right now. I'm not certain if the Android version does as much as the Windows PC version though. It seems like I need to connect the car to try and enable readings.
For $100, you are probably not going to get a scanner that gives you ABS info or if it does, it will be very minimal info. I have Innova's 5610 which is one of their top of the line scanners and it does give ABS info but I don't know if it will give you which wheel speed sensor is having an issue and that scanner is around $350.

For $100, you are probably not going to get a scanner that gives you ABS info or if it does, it will be very minimal info.
The Innova 5210 ($115 at Oreillys, for example), reads ABS codes and provides data such as "C1235 - wheel speed sensor, RR (right rear) - signal missing". That's all I need. Live data (for ABS) was simply a wishlist item but I'm not paying 3x the money for it.

Off-topic for my G35 wheel speed sensor questions, but looking at vehicle compatibility for a few code scanners, they can't read ABS codes for Hondas. What's unique about Hondas in this regard ?

Last edited:
I recently started getting a combination of warning lights on my '08 G35 - VDC, ABS, and SLIP. Typically this indicates a failing wheel sensor. I haven't checked yet and may not need to, but will OBD tell me which sensor it is ?

If not, how do I diagnose ? One method I've seen is to use a multimeter connected to the connector and monitor the voltage while spinning the wheel. What is typically the "right" value, something around 5v ?

If you're lucky you can read individual wheel speeds. can be the phonic wheel aswell as the sensor

I'd love to see "live data" for the wheel speed sensors but I really don't think I need that.

Mine does live data and graphing (which you do want), but not including wheel data, which I would love to have (that I know of, I have no idea if it's somehow hidden in PID data).

Mine does live data and graphing (which you do want), but not including wheel data, which I would love to have (that I know of, I have no idea if it's somehow hidden in PID data).
Dumb question - Does the car you trying to plug into provide that as a standard code? At the end of the day these things are only readers, so if the Powertrain module doesn't have it - they can't read it.

Update: I rotated my tires yesterday and found nothing obvious anywhere in the wiring. I did not get under the vehicle and inspect the whole length of the ABS wiring to see where it went, I mostly just assumed that if it's going to go bad it's probably where it's flexing in the front, but the wire protector looms were completely intact. The only questionable thing I found was in the front wheel bearing where the wire for the ABS goes dangerously close to the axles and it looks like it's quite possible for well placed rock to ruin it. This might explain why when I was looking at replacement wheel hub's they had the wiring completely integral to the hub and avoid this possibility altogether. I did reset the ABS code (yes my scanner let me just erase an ABS code without clearing out any emissions codes) and will report back if the code comes back. This did happen after 6 days of continuous rain here so that might have had something to do with it.

Dumb question - Does the car you trying to plug into provide that as a standard code? At the end of the day these things are only readers, so if the Powertrain module doesn't have it - they can't read it.
How would I know? It's a 1999 Alero, so probably not (I am assuming that would be rare or not possible on a 1999 vehicle). Will the codes provided be listed in the Factory Service manual (because I do that the printed 2 volume version of this). I'm wondering if I go through the list of PID's shown in the scanner (raw data) and see if there is a way to figure out what they mean, and determine if they include data that isn't conveniently labeled and displayed in one of the menus.

How would I know? It's a 1999 Alero, so probably not (I am assuming that would be rare or not possible on a 1999 vehicle). Will the codes provided be listed in the Factory Service manual (because I do that the printed 2 volume version of this). I'm wondering if I go through the list of PID's shown in the scanner (raw data) and see if there is a way to figure out what they mean, and determine if they include data that isn't conveniently labeled and displayed in one of the menus.
Yes, your factory manual should tell you which you can see. Nissan is not smart enough to have a consolidated list so you have to go to each section in the manual - ie ABS codes are only listed under the ABS chapter. I am going back a long time but I had a 1996 Cutlass Supreme and I think my GM manuals all had a master list in the index and the page to look at, but you might have to go through each section.

OBD outside of the emission control stuff for Cafe is optional, so each manufacture can implement only the codes they choose. They might even add some proprietary codes. If the module doesn't support the code or variable - like a temperature for example - then your scanner can not read it - even if the sensor exists and possibly is even sending data.

Got a scanner and the ABS fault code is C1116 , "stop (brake) light switch". Problem is intermittent and I haven't seen it in a few days (no doubt I just jinxed myself). Brake lights work and push-to-start works fine. I presume push-to-start uses this same switch when making sure the brake pedal is depressed when starting the car.

For my Xterra - but likely similar.

C1116 STOP LAMP SWITCH
The stop lamp switch transmits the stop lamp switch signal (ON/OFF) to the ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit).
Possible Cause:
• Harness or connector
• Stop lamp switch
• ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit)

BTW - what scanner did you get?

For my Xterra - but likely similar.

C1116 STOP LAMP SWITCH
The stop lamp switch transmits the stop lamp switch signal (ON/OFF) to the ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit).
Possible Cause:
• Harness or connector
• Stop lamp switch
• ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit)
I have the FSM for my G35 and if my memory is correct, it's the exact same wording.

BTW - what scanner did you get?
Innova 6100p

That is definitely a nicer scanner than the one I've got! Anyhow after a couple of days of driving my U1225 code hasn't come back, but I will check again in a week or more again. I was looking to see if mine could tell me oil life %, but I don't think so. I'll have to try my laptop OBDII adapter to see what comes up.

That is definitely a nicer scanner than the one I've got!
It seems like it will be okay... 😉 Amazon had a $25 coupon for it and I found good reviews. I looked at some Foxwell but their website had terrible Chinese-English jibberish and I didn't want to run into anything like that with their hardware. Looked at Autel as well but couldn't decide on one. Innova seems real popular and matches up with my usage.

I never did post back on this.... I replaced the stop-light switch and that seems to have resolved my issue.

I ended up finding a broken wire that connects to the ABS sensor near the control arm / ABS sensor area. Exactly where that part of the wiring harness flexes the most. Yes the insulation was intact, but looking at it you could tell that the wire underneath was bad. I only repaired the one broken wire. Presumably the other wire and the other side of the car will also break at some point as well. This is such a common problem on these vehicles that there is more than one aftermarket manufacturer for replacement wiring harness pieces complete with a new connector.

Back