OBD, wheel speed sensor

I recently started getting a combination of warning lights on my '08 G35 - VDC, ABS, and SLIP. Typically this indicates a failing wheel sensor. I haven't checked yet and may not need to, but will OBD tell me which sensor it is ?

If not, how do I diagnose ? One method I've seen is to use a multimeter connected to the connector and monitor the voltage while spinning the wheel. What is typically the "right" value, something around 5v ?

Inspect the wiring to make sure it isn't the wiring. If you find something, you will know what wheel it is.
And you should be doing this anyway (and I'm there right now as well, had to turn off my traction control this morning).

Apparently this is a common problem on my particular vehicle (Grand Am / Alero) and they make replacement wiring harness pieces just for this.

In the last several vehicles I have owned, it will tell you which wheel is failing the check. Usually just have to replace the wheel end/bearing assembly.

I recently started getting a combination of warning lights on my '08 G35 - VDC, ABS, and SLIP. Typically this indicates a failing wheel sensor. I haven't checked yet and may not need to, but will OBD tell me which sensor it is ?

You need a scantool that can read ABS codes. A generic OBD-II scantool can't do this--it can only read OBD-II codes from the powertrain control module.

Usually just have to replace the wheel end/bearing assembly.
Coincidentally, I had (2) wheel bearing replaced earlier this year.

And you should be doing this anyway
I will do a visual inspection if I can't find out via a scanner.

You need a scantool that can read ABS codes. A generic OBD-II scantool can't do this--it can only read OBD-II codes from the powertrain control module.
I suspected this might be the case. I do have the Torque scanner app (the $$$ PRO version too, not the free one) but haven't tried anything yet. Quick checking suggests Torque Pro might read ABS codes.... I presume the lights need to be active or does it store codes ? The lights don't come on frequently (yet) and are "reset" every time I turn the car off.

Last edited:
I suspected this might be the case. I do have the Torque scanner app (the $$$ PRO version too, not the free one) but haven't tried anything yet. Quick checking suggests Torque Pro might read ABS codes.... I presume the lights need to be active or does it store codes ? The lights don't come on frequently (yet) and are "reset" every time I turn the car off.

ABS codes should be stored in the module. They were on the 1997 Ford Crown Victoria I once had, which is the only car I've ever had any ABS problems with. (That was some sort of internal problem with the ABS module, fixed with a junkyard part).

I used some OBD-II software and cable called "Car Code" by Alex Peper to get the ABS codes out of that car.

+1 These are bolt ins not part of the hub bearing. If its a front one it is not to bad if its the rear sit down and hold on to your seat it is 2 in 1 and about 5 bills.

You should have a circuit or loss of signal DTC. At that point you need to determine if the fault is the speed sensor, reluctor wheel, wiring or module. That vehicle uses 2 wire active wheel speed sensors. The ABS module supplies the speed sensor with approximately battery voltage and ground. A very small digital square wave rides on the 12 volt side. An oscilloscope is the best tool for testing because of how small the signal is.

Both my 2008 Xterra and 2011 Frontier will tall you which wheel (apparently, never had an issue) so I presume your Infinity will also. You will need a scanner that reads Nissan brake or powertrain codes - I forget which.

if its the rear sit down and hold on to your seat it is 2 in 1 and about 5 bills.
At first I thought you were referring to the work part and the "5 bills" was a typical cost for parts + labor. I do see prices for the rear (2 in 1) all over the place, from a Beck & Arnley for $40 up to $588 😳 for an NTK ! Ouch ! RA also has an SMP for $80 or WVE for $180. Geez, prices all over the place. Did you look the price up, by the way ? Or have you done enough RWD (or AWD) Nissan / Infinitis to kinda remember ?

The rear sensors are in the rear differential ? That's what I see in a video for the same year as mine and since it's a "set", that would make sense with how they're arranged. I'll crawl under or take a look later.

I'm not getting a specific ABS code, I'm getting "U1255 ABS" which doesn't tell me which wheel it is, just which module. Maybe I need to drive it more? My scan tool supposedly reads ABS codes. I'm not sure about ABS data if there is such a thing??? I don't know since this car is famous for ABS sensor wiring which I should look at over the weekend. Anyway, for now I can just turn off the Traction Control and it drives better.

I'm not getting a specific ABS code, I'm getting "U1255 ABS" which doesn't tell me which wheel it is, just which module. Maybe I need to drive it more? My scan tool supposedly reads ABS codes. I'm not sure about ABS data if there is such a thing??? I don't know since this car is famous for ABS sensor wiring which I should look at over the weekend. Anyway, for now I can just turn off the Traction Control and it drives better.

U1255 is a code that means that the PCM did not get a message from a module it was expecting to get a message from.

Maybe the ABS module has a problem that is preventing it from communicating on the bus?

U1255 is a code that means that the PCM did not get a message from a module it was expecting to get a message from.

Maybe the ABS module has a problem that is preventing it from communicating on the bus?
Possibly so. But this is on a vehicle famous for issues with ABS sensor wiring.

IMG_20221006_183749070.jpg

Both my 2008 Xterra and 2011 Frontier will tall you which wheel (apparently, never had an issue) so I presume your Infinity will also. You will need a scanner that reads Nissan brake or powertrain codes - I forget which.
Doesn't seem like Torque Pro reads ABS. I borrowed an Innova 3020 that a co-worker has but when I tried the "ABS" button, the display read "UNSUP" or similar. If the lights happen to come on at the right time, I might stop in at an auto parts store and see if their scanner reads ABS.

The rear sensors are in the rear differential ?
Confirmed that they are in the differential too.

1665105425424.jpg

Clear the codes and see if the U1255 comes back. ABS sensor wiring problems won't cause a U1255 code.
Generally speaking, the internet says that it will. I doubt that it's a coincidence that I am having traction control issues. Having written that, yeah this particular code says that the ABS module isn't communicating with the PCM and doesn't specifically state that an ABS sensor at fault.

Generally speaking, the internet says that it will. I doubt that it's a coincidence that I am having traction control issues. Having written that, yeah this particular code says that the ABS module isn't communicating with the PCM and doesn't specifically state that an ABS sensor at fault.

It also makes me think your scantool isn't actually communicating with the ABS module. Are you able to specifically select the ABS module for code retrieval on that scantool?

1665113473436.jpg

Last edited:
I get a VDC/ABS/SLIP light combo whenever I disconnect the battery on my Nissan's. It requires an ABS reset. For mine at least - you can either drive for like a couple hundred miles and they will eventually reset, or do a manual reset by getting the car going perfectly straight - shut the engine off - restart the car and drive forward to 16mph without touching the steering wheel. The steering wheel can't move at all - hence you need a nice flat empty parking lot or similar. Somehow it re-calibrates the speed sensors.

Wheel speed sensor codes would be Cxxxx code - I don't remember which but I would expect to see that code if it was a speed sensor issue.

The U code is a high level code between modules, however Nissan's are strange about firing U-codes when you have other issues. I have never been able to find anyone that can explain why, and half the time the U codes aren't in the service manual, but you will usually still get a more specific code you would expect to see along with it, at least based on most of what I see on the Nissan boards.

As for reading the ABS codes, that's another issue in that a lot of scanners won't read Nissan codes outside the standard engine codes, or need a software update specific to Nissan. I have read the FOXWELL NT630 works for Nissan ABS codes, but I haven't bought one so I can't confirm. If I ever find one I know for sure will work I will buy it.

It also makes me think your scantool isn't actually communicating with the ABS module. Are you able to specifically select the ABS module for code retrieval on that scantool?

View attachment 120055

Interesting! I will have to look for that as I do not recall ever seeing it. Maybe vehicle dependent.
I don't have the scanner handy, but I think it's this one:

Yes, from the instructions it looks like this function is supported. Now if it's supported with any of the vehicles I happen to maintain is another story. But thanks I will look for that.
scanner_002.jpg

I've simply never had to do this before, so I've never speficifically looked for it. Thanks for the info. Will report back over the weekend.

Last edited:
Back