NYC trip with kids!

Flying out tonight and will be in the Big Apple for 5 days. First time for the kids and I haven't been there for 30 years. So I'm gathering some ideas on what do see and where to eat, etc.

1) World Trade Center Observatory and Museum
2) Broadway Show: Aladdin
3) MoMa
4) Natural History Museum
5) Central Park
6) Chopped Cheese
7) Pizza
8) Grand Central
9) Time Square
10) Rockfeller Center
11) Empire State Building
12) Brooklyn Bridge
13) Coney Island / Nathan's Hot Dog (Is it even worth it?)
14) Statue of Liberty
15) Chrysler Building
16) Wall Street

Anything else or something not worth doing from above?

My 14 y/o kid just went on a school sponsored tour and did a couple Broadway shows. Took 300 pictures of graffiti through the bus window. Had a great time and yours will too. He did a boat tour around Manhattan that managed to get the Statue of Liberty at sunset.

Both Met museums, the northern one has really interesting medieval tapestries, you could spend a few days at the regular one in Central Park.

I haven't done some of the stuff I heard about. I've visited a couple of times. Once when single (and still in college) and once with the family.

Maybe a tour of the United Nations?

The museums I've been to include the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Guggenheim Museum.

I've been to the Central Park Zoo on both visits.

As far as food goes, on our flight over, Katz'a Deli was recommended over Carnigie Deli (which is now defunct other than a catering business).

You mentioned Grand Central Terminal. We stayed nearby so that was convenient to visit. We ate in the subterranian levels a few times. The Apple Store there is really unique in its setup.

For other places to eat, I've been watching this channel. He's done everything from $2 pizza (more now due to inflation) up to Le Bernadin. Interesting guy too. He's Chinese-American with limited Chinese language skills but apparently can't read the language. He has a significant other (not explained if they're married or not) who is from Beijing and will read or even order for him. Not everything is about NYC as he lives in New Jersey and has done travel food vids, but there's a fair bit of visits to NYC restaurants.

And a playlist of NYC restaurants:

Maybe this place?

I think it is permanently closed.
Apparently you're correct, sadly. My other favorite, The New York Delicatessen just down from Carnegie Hall is also gone. It's been at least 25 years since I've been to NY, it was a great place to get great food and bagels like nowhere else. Friends who have been there recently have commented on the overwhelming smell of Marijuana and yes, in a lot of areas, urine and worse. I guess we're all aware of the issues that NYC is dealing with.

Since I go for food, this place seems to be highly recommended. The owner usually works the grill and he's a hamburger historian. The two burgers they always have are a smashburger and a fried onion burger. He apparently discovered the fried onion burger at some place in Oklahoma.

Flying out tonight and will be in the Big Apple for 5 days. First time for the kids and I haven't been there for 30 years. So I'm gathering some ideas on what do see and where to eat, etc.

1) World Trade Center Observatory and Museum
2) Broadway Show: Aladdin
3) MoMa
4) Natural History Museum
5) Central Park
6) Chopped Cheese
7) Pizza
8) Grand Central
9) Time Square
10) Rockfeller Center
11) Empire State Building
12) Brooklyn Bridge
13) Coney Island / Nathan's Hot Dog (Is it even worth it?)
14) Statue of Liberty
15) Chrysler Building
16) Wall Street

Anything else or something not worth doing from above?
I went 2 years ago. Use the Subways for all transportation, extremely quick, efficient, and convenient. Use your phone Apple Maps or Google Maps in public transit mode to tell you which subways to get on. You can get everyone Metro cards.

#1 was awesome.
#5 was amazing as well, you can spend
lots of time here. Walking and walking and walking. #7 Bleecker Street Pizza was the best
#11 I couldn’t figure this one out. I walked around it and didn’t see where to go in, but it was pretty unremarkable. I could be wrong though.
#14 I saw from the ferry as I stayed in Staten Island. From everyone I talked to, they kind of shrugged their shoulders as to whether it’s worth the time to go to it.
#16 Very interesting, looks like a movie set walking through there.

I’d add a NYC bagel to your list. I went to Leo’s Bagels but you really can’t go wrong anywhere.

I always hear Katz Deli is incredible too and wish I went.

Loved going into the city for a play. It’s timeless. I think that will be a day they never forget. Play, dinner and activities of that day.

Times Square is cool
I’ve seen many faces of NYC change for decades, haven’t been back in 2 decades now.
I don’t know how prevalent but recently heard complaints about the constant smell of pot from two visitors. But that is NYC, I actually liked the more gritty side on the Times Square area in the 60s and 70s into the 80s

Sadly remember the coolness of taking the elevator up to the rooftop of the World Trade Center near where my friend worked. I think it was referred to as a vertical subway if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Back