Nuclear Fusion

Clearly we can achieve Fusion, we've been able to do so for some time now. What we can't do is contain it.

I'm very clearly stating that I believe inertial containment is the only viable method. That's how stars do it.
You're saying we should make a star here...on Earth?
I guess a good test for the containment vessel would be to fly it through our own Sun
What about the possibility of creating a black hole while trying to do it

You're saying we should make a star here...on Earth?
I guess a good test for the containment vessel would be to fly it through our own Sun
What about the possibility of creating a black hole while trying to do it
Fusion containment here on Earth (if possible) would in fact be a micro star. With the expected release of energy in the form of heat and light, as the 4 hydrogen atoms fuse into a single Helium atom, losing some mass in the process. The resulting Helium atom has about 0.71% less mass than the 4 original Hydrogen atoms.

So are you saying it's possible to get something from nothing?
Just to be clear, fusion from hydrogen to helium releases energy due to a small loss in mass. Using E=MC2, we can calculate just how much energy is released in this process, and it is immense.

Clearly we can achieve Fusion, we've been able to do so for some time now. What we can't do is contain it.

I'm very clearly stating that I believe inertial containment is the only viable method. That's how stars do it.
Not only containment, but we haven't even reached self-sustaining yet, let alone net positive output.

Back