Nu Finish old vs new

I got lazy, park the cars in the driveway now, and I take them through a carwash, and I hit them with a new microfiber and turtle wax spray and wax after each wash.

Good enough for daily drivers.

I still have a couple of bottles of the old formula that I intend to use up. I have no idea what I am going to replace it with.
What the videos of ScottHD on youtube. He does a lot of real world, unbiased testing of polishes and protectants. His testing is probably the most comprehensively performed on YouTube.

What the videos of ScottHD on youtube. He does a lot of real world, unbiased testing of polishes and protectants. His testing is probably the most comprehensively performed on YouTube.
He also mentions (his) YouTube competition getting paid by companies for the best reviews

I work in a store that sells NuFinish... even in the last 5 years or so, sales have definitely gone down down down.

That said, Energizer Holdings makes so much other stuff that we sell all day every day, including STP, ArmorAll, ACPro, etc. they definitely aren't hurting for business haha. Compared to the lost sales of NuFinish, which is probably a drop in the bucket for them, there are far more profitable products that sell in much higher volume and bring in waaaay more money, so honestly they couldn't care less what you think of the product.

That said, it's probably been reformulated to be cheaper and easier to produce, not to make it better, so it makes sense satisfaction of said product is down compared to the original version, whatever that might be. Most likely at least one ingredient from the original formulation was difficult to deal with or expensive to acquire, so they continue to reformulate it to increase commonality with their other products. If only one low volume product in their lineup uses such an ingredient, it is most likely more profitable for them to get rid of the ingredient, even if they sell a few less bottles of said product.

Finally, most people buying something else instead of NuFinish are likely to purchase a different product also owned by Energizer, so they get the money anyway. The amount of professional, knowledagble, or discerning customers that even realize that NuFinish is likely a tiny percentage, While, for example, ArmorAll products take up a huge amount of shelf space at most any mainstream auto parts store appearance chemicals section or other store that sells NuFinish.

It wouldn't surprise me if in the next few years they do away with NuFinish entirely. Like other posters have said, there are plenty of other products that produce the same or better result at a similar or better price point, with the same or less effort... some of which are also Energizer Holdings brand products.

Last edited:
There's better newer easier products out there then nu finish and I'm a old man saying it.
Nu
6 bucks at Walmart
Always lasted me a year
Take me 40 minutes by hand (and I’m about 70) on a large car
I don’t know what can me much better

Nu
6 bucks at Walmart
Always lasted me a year
Two Coats of NuFinish gets my wife's 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe through the winter even with frequent automated car washing. So I'm with you on this. I use a cheap polisher-no swirls or any other issues. But I have noticed that it is indeed changed and may try something else after I go through this bottle-which will be awhile.

Nu
6 bucks at Walmart
Always lasted me a year
I remember using N-F during the 80s-90s and it was indeed easy to apply/remove. However today, I typically vacuum my interior, wash the wheels, then the vehicle, dry it(WaterBlade) and apply a quick detail type product in ~ 1 hr. After each wash, I quickly apply something to the paint be it a QD, WaUD or SnS(my new fav) and the paint always looks & feels great. If the vehicle needs more attention, I'll spend more time on it and take my time doing a better job.

I remember using N-F during the 80s-90s and it was indeed easy to apply/remove. However today, I typically vacuum my interior, wash the wheels, then the vehicle, dry it(WaterBlade) and apply a quick detail type product in ~ 1 hr. After each wash, I quickly apply something to the paint be it a QD, WaUD or SnS(my new fav) and the paint always looks & feels great. If the vehicle needs more attention, I'll spend more time on it and take my time doing a better job.
I just finished using the 3M synthetic
The ingredients list reminded me of the Maguires NXT next generation
Silicone and titanium dioxide
Easy on and off. 35-40
Not quite as hard as the Nu finish taking off the set haze
(Weird taking it off wet)
No staining at all
Looks good

Attachments

• A59E0661-E494-4123-8DF1-5E2BA8B37906.jpeg
    A59E0661-E494-4123-8DF1-5E2BA8B37906.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 8B4E7E1E-0933-44F3-882E-181EA5CD33C5.jpeg
    8B4E7E1E-0933-44F3-882E-181EA5CD33C5.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 15
  • F8274FCB-2BD2-4EC8-9B3E-DAA1A9BB55D9.jpeg
    F8274FCB-2BD2-4EC8-9B3E-DAA1A9BB55D9.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 8DB47383-97B3-4737-A33E-72E2C5EB4BCE.jpeg
    8DB47383-97B3-4737-A33E-72E2C5EB4BCE.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 16
Add: Hard to find (eBay or Amazon seem to be the only places)
20 vs 6
It doesn’t seem any glossier than a Nu Finish but hard to tell on white

I’ve used NF over the years on our vehicles, mostly for its durability to protect the clear coat. I don’t use it on newer dark paint since it will leave a white mark in any scratch. Probably bought my last bottle 10 years ago…

The turtle wax ‘ceramic’ sprays seem just as good now , at least based on the Project Farm YT channel results. They also don’t appear to stain the trim!

I've applied the NuFinish to the shower glass in the past. Worked good there once you get the glass really clean.

Back