Now THIS is a supercharger!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the interview the guy says he's only fired it up once and when he blipped the throttle it picked the front end off the ground an inch and blew both head gaskets. LOL

4y992sm.jpg

Click here.

Why why why? I have no sound so I can't tell if it's a joke.

For a 10.5 car the airflow requirement can be met easily with many blowers. If he wanted to get crazy and make more power, why not a large single turbo.

That is just silly no need for that at all. Not only are their better solutions but the added mass is just not need.He could easily get up to 40+lbs of boost from a comparatively small turbocharger andif lag is an issue their is dual sequitial turbo's variable vane technology and NO2 injection intothe exhaust just ahead of the turbo.....Then you have all the 471 super chargers laying around junk yards and the NEwest Eaton models that are being used onthe Cadilacs etc........I hope this is a photoshop project and not real!

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

It's not a joke. The guy found it in a junkyard; it's a blower for a locomotive engine. So he fabbed it up to make it fit!

Like G-Man said, it blew the headgaskets with one blip of the throttle.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
That is just silly no need for that at all. Not only are their better solutions but the added mass is just not need.He could easily get up to 40+lbs of boost from a comparatively small turbocharger andif lag is an issue their is dual sequitial turbo's variable vane technology and NO2 injection intothe exhaust just ahead of the turbo.....Then you have all the 471 super chargers laying around junk yards and the NEwest Eaton models that are being used onthe Cadilacs etc........I hope this is a photoshop project and not real!

Agreed. The new turbos and technology that have come out over the past 5-6 years are unbelievable. Lag is a thing of the past. I never imagined I would be able to run a turbo with an 800hp potential on a little V6 with a low 2,800 stall convertor and have full boost in by 2,800-3,000rpm. In the old days it meant running a 4,500 stall and still having lag.

For a 10.5 car the airflow requirement can be met easily with many blowers. If he wanted to get crazy and make more power, why not a large single turbo.

He did it for the wow factor, no other reason.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Lag is even more of a non issue with the anti-lag programs you can run that reduce ignition timing and pump a bunch of extra fuel into the motor to build up exhaust pressure. You can hear it build full boost with no load on the motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvJChxWpnts&feature=related

I've done my own version of anti lag back in the old days when spool was a problem. By retarding the timing even without the extra fuel, it was literally at full boost by the time the pedal hit the floor. However I didn't have an automatic way of making it go back to full timing and running the timing at 10 degrees on accident under boost would really mess things up. With the stock internal wastegate, it did not have the capacity to control boost, I watched the gauge wrap around and peg at 30 psi before I could back out of it.

The problem with a street car, a traditional anit-lag is very hard on turbos along with the noise and the fact that they will kill convertors and even mufflers. A little timing retard when the MAF shows low numbers but the TPS voltage is high would be very nice.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

He did it for the wow factor, no other reason.

Agreed.

I would have to guess he has very little knowledge of blowers. The pulley looks pretty standard size. I could only imagine how underdriven this thing would have to be to produce acceptable boost levels. Maybe start by reversing the crank and blower pulleys lol.

I agree BuickGN I have been considering turbo charging my Camry but going low pressure ie not much more then 6-8lbs of boost. Since I can now have say 4lbs of boost just off idle a low boost system on an other wise OEM daily driver makes a lot of sense where in the early 1980's it was not worth the trouble of turbo charging unless you where going to go big!

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
I agree BuickGN I have been considering turbo charging my Camry...

Please see the 4th post in this thread...
lol.gif

wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back