Novice question on greasing zerk fittings on drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

Over the past weekend, among other tasks, I attempted to grease the drivetrain zerk fittings on my 2006 Toyota Tundra 4WD. I have a grease gun with a fixed (i.e., non-flexible) nozzle that fits right over the zerk. I use it with my air compressor.

The problem is there are some zerk fittings where the head of the nozzle is too big to get onto the zerk fitting. I searched through one of the forums on one of the Toyota Tundra forums, and apparently, one of the recommended solutions is to get a needle nozzle extension.

So, I went to Sears, and found a 4 inch needle nozzle extension. It even says on the package that it is ideal for greasing CVTs and other hard to reach places.

I know this is a stupid question, but exactly how am I supposed to use this needle extension? I don't think it will fit *over* the zerk fitting. Am I supposed to try to hold it onto the zerk and try to get grease in that way, or am I supposed to grease the joints some other way? I'd really like to get grease into the zerk rather than try to put grease in somewhere external to the joint...Can someone enlighten me?

I think those needles are for getting grease into a CVT bt sneaking it in behind the clamps. It won't work for you in that application. Maybe look for one of those tips that slides onto a zerk from the side, like for doing lower ball joints with the wheels on. They're very flat and they work pretty good.

I'm not sure if I understand you right, but autozone sells flexible hoses for grease guns. I bought a grease gun, and hose, and switched out the steel extension with the hose and was able to grease all the Ball-Joints on my ranger. 16 bucks for the gun and hose.. Cheap considering the price to have the joints replaced or the pain in the #@$%! it is to do yourself.(Which I did...)

Last edited:
I imagine this is the u-joints that you are having a hard time getting too?

I can't get the the front u-joint on my Landcruiser. I have a flex hose but the connector that attached to the zerk is simply too large and all the others I've looked at appear to be the same size.

NY engineer - do you know of a link with the fitting that slides over eth sides of a zerk. I haven't seen anything like that and I have been searching for a while.

Lincoln Industrial has the tool for the job.
Part #5883 will allow you to grease a zerk from the side at 90degrees. Probably need to find a Lincoln distributor, as these proably won't be found on a store shelf.
lncoln90degfitting.gif

There is also an adaptor that necks down to fit between the yokes, and slips over the zerk. I'll see if I can turn up a link to one. Found one locally but they wanted forty bucks for it.

Alex.

Google search for
lincoln lubrication 5855

Something along the lines of that does the trick, small end fits over the grease fitting, the other end snaps into your regular grease coupler.

Alex.

My problem is the zerk fitting is "recessed" inside a small area. The head of the nozzle is just a bit too large to fit inside the cavity to get to the zerk....If someone has a link to tools that would work better, I would be greatful!At this point, I'm just about willing to buy a whole new grease gun if that's what it takes...These zerks must be lubed!

The Lincoln 5855, referenced above, is precisely what you are looking for. They work as long as not too much pressure is needed at the grease fitting and u-joints never need much pressure to accept grease.

George - I am 99% sure the item you recommend is exactly what I need. I went to the Lincoln website - I'm going to try to procure it. They list Pep Boys as a retailer of Lincoln grease tool accessories, I will try to get one this weekend. If I can't find it there, I will order one. Many thanks for pointing me to this.

I may be adding here what you already know but is this what you have seen.

I have seen two needle tips. First one looks like what I would find in a doctors office and I suppose could pierce a rubber boot and add grease. A few inches long very thin and the end is cut on a angle like a hypodermic needle: won't work on a zerk fitting.

The second type is a fairly thin, maybe 1/8 inch tube, two to four inches long with an end that sharply tapers to the size of a somewhat used pencil point. With this second type you can push on the ball of the zerk fitting and add grease. It doesn't fit over the zerk fitting it just pushes on the center spring loaded ball. Works on most tight places as well as open zerks. I have seen this second type that screw on to the grease gun in place of the regular zerk type and another that slips over the zerk type end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back