Educate Me...Grease for ATV

Bought a 2023 Can Am Outlander ATV, it has lots of zerks to grease.
Does it matter much what I use?
It will be on trails, in mud, water, and come winter time the snow.
Not going to the dealer to buy their xps grease, just want to get something that works, costs under a bazillion dollars, and isn't harder to find than bigfoot.

It would seem that the same grease that works for semi trucks, and trailers, would also be fine for an ATV then.
This is good news.
Thought maybe an ATV would require something special.

Because of the application and the standards set by the NLGI for the different applications, I'd buy a lithium complex or a calcium sulfonate complex, NLGI #2 viscosity, GC-LB rated marine grease. Properties such as oil separation and four-ball EP weld point are given mininum standards and most quality manufacturers will publish this information.

There are some good products on the market but mainstream greases that carry GC-LB all seem to have similar performance. I like Amsoil's synthetic multi-purpose grease at $8.69 per 14 oz tube and I like the Mystik JT-6 ISO 220 if you can find it. A product that has impressive performance numbers but doesn't carry any NLGI ratings is the Valvoline Cobalt grease. It is an ISO 1000 viscosity but is a polymeric product so the high viscosity performs like the average ISO 160/220 product.

Don't waste your money on a $8.00 tube of Mobil-1 Synthetic grease. It bleeds the lubricant oil out of the tube while sitting on the store shelf. You'll have a mess oozing from your grease gun if it's sitting in a hot garage for a year or so.

Marine rated GC-LB in viscosity of NLGI #2 is my recommendation. Brand is practically irrelevant.

I thought ATV grease for the most part was high in black nasty moly, things like CV joints and rear wheel bearings where splined hubs are sealed in the stuff. (Suzuki)

mystic jt-6 ,in the green tube maybe a thought,its calcium 0-250 degrees,,and its water resistant,55lbs timken load also, or the jt-6 high temp,red grease,,lithium complex,hard to beat mystic grease for quality and price,can find it in many places including wall-mart,farm and fleet,online etc

mystic jt-6 ,in the green tube maybe a thought,its calcium 0-250 degrees,,and its water resistant,55lbs timken load also, or the jt-6 high temp,red grease,,lithium complex,hard to beat mystic grease for quality and price,can find it in many places including wall-mart,farm and fleet,online etc
Green tube is super waterproof and won’t bleed even in a truck bed toolbox … many boats owners here have used it for years (me) …
It‘s stocked for farmers/ranchers so easier to find than “marine” …

marine grease would be my choice.

i run it in my kubota rtvx900, i know its not a hot rod like yours, but i use it quite a bit and it weights about 2400 lbs.

Back