Nothing beats an old V8

I liked the simple timing chain path of the old V8 engines. No one talked about timing chain or tensioner failures back then. Pushrods did not seem like an issue either.

I liked the simple timing chain path of the old V8 engines. No one talked about timing chain or tensioner failures back then. Pushrods did not seem like an issue either.
Not sure if I agree... in the bad old 70's I know nylon showed up and caused quite a bit of retarded timing. They may have had chain stretch too, but the chains were so short I don't think tensioners were used.

I have heard of pushrods bending too (but never figured out why they would).

Now fixing any of those issues was likely much easier, no doubt about that!

Proof is in the pudding. Ignore ET, focus on trap speed. 101 MPH on a 3650 lb car (wet) tells you the HP

Things like tire bite, wheel hop, etc have to be taken into account, some of those old cars were very loose in the tail. I had a twisted hemi, with stock size tires it would send them up in smoke at the drop of a hat but put slicks on it and it broke a spring perch and drove the r/r wheel into the fenderwell.
The cure was an erector set and reinforcements, then she would hook up and go. Those calculators are not very accurate.

Possibly of interest, we have a relatively stock 289 Ford, high performance, with aftermarket parts that attempt to match Shelby's 306HP configurations, going on the dyno in less than 2 weeks. We expect about 300HP. I'll report back with results, if it does not blow up....

Possibly of interest, we have a relatively stock 289 Ford, high performance, with aftermarket parts that attempt to match Shelby's 306HP configurations, going on the dyno in less than 2 weeks. We expect about 300HP. I'll report back with results, if it does not blow up....
Now that is cool! Engine dyno or rollers?

Being a mechanic at that time, most engine were tired at 90-110LK miles. If they didnt have a burned valve or other major issue, A new timing set and a tuneup would usually bring back the OE performance. So most timing sets were absolutely shot at 100K.
Pushrods? Kids overrevving the engine duing burnout or whatever - the pushrod steps aside from the rocker. I've had a couple go through the valve cover. This with usually stamped rockers with no rocker shaft and no pushrod guide plates. I was able to buy my clean, survivor '67 Chevelle SS 396 for 600 bucks as the dope kids winged the engine and tossed 2 pushrods and they had also improperly put a Holley Carb on the factory GM intake with an adapter because, "a Holley 4160 is def better than a Rochester Q-jet factory tuned to the engine" :) :) :)

That was back in 1976. Jeeper's, the Chevelle was likely under 10 years old at the time :).

The 60's cars came detuned; the factory ignition curve was optimized for longivety, not power.
Here's a pretty stock L36 427 ghetto ride.
That Vette is iconic. I am 67 years old and my best friends dad was an auto wholesaler from when we were 16 years to the last year of high school he would bring us home a Vette to drive for the summer we were cool. I learned so much from my "other " dad. I miss him. He was a tough awesome WWII navy man.

Didn't watch the whole 9 minutes of video, just skipped around. Obviously, the Buick isn't stock, how about the Supra?

I'd like to see a stock vs stock match up...

The '60's performance cars were crude as compared to today's cars (all older cars are). But they were legendary and broke new ground. DeLorean put the 389 in the Tempest body and nothing was ever the same. By crude, I have to include tires (7.75x14 bias ply tires on a Goat torque monster?), transmissions, etc. I just have to wonder if they will still be popular 10, 20 or 30 years from now?

I just have to wonder if they will still be popular 10, 20 or 30 years from now?
10 years from now, sure. 30? Probably. 100 years? I'm thinking nope. In museums, sure, and among small groups of people. But to the same level that people wax nostalgic about Model T's or horse & buggy. Great to look at, great at fairs and parades, but only a select few will want to actually own and use.

I disagree on the boss 429s, the NASCAR teams they were developed for got everything they could out of those with a holley dominator carbs on em. never close to 850 and they were 500 mile bombs.
Point is that modern engines can do 662 all day, every day, for 10s of thousands of miles without issue. My GT500 gets 28MPG at 80MPH on the open road too.

First I've ever heard of that and didn't that engine only ever run one season? As it and the 426 HEMI both got quickly banned. The 494ci version put in the TASCA Super BOSS with an 1150 Dominator made 735HP relatively recently:

And of course Kaase and numerous other builders use BOSS-9 based mills in Pro Stock Mountain Motor making a couple thousand HP:

And he sells BOSS-9 repro's available from 500-1000HP Naturally Aspirated and 1,500HP with boost:

The '60's performance cars were crude as compared to today's cars (all older cars are). But they were legendary and broke new ground. DeLorean put the 389 in the Tempest body and nothing was ever the same. By crude, I have to include tires (7.75x14 bias ply tires on a Goat torque monster?), transmissions, etc. I just have to wonder if they will still be popular 10, 20 or 30 years from now?
I bought a 1970 Challenger with a 340 and 4 speed in 1971 the engine was mint I put a Holly carb, Aluminum intake and headers the engine turned 6500 RPM in top gear it was faster than my friends 66 GTO and my other friends 69 Z28 !!! It wasn't faster than the big block cars of the day though. Last year I got a ride in a Hell Cat Challenger I really liked it.

Any results yet? I'd love to see..
Thanks.

I guess as long as you don’t have to stop or turn the Buick is cool
Oh, that special whine that's been heard since the first time a V8 powered car showed its taillights to a sportscar, many decades ago. It never gets old.

Oh, that special whine that's been heard since the first time a V8 powered car showed its taillights to a sportscar, many decades ago. It never gets old.
Maybe so. But I’ve seen countless muscle cars decimated at autox events by 140hp Miatas. Guess it just depends on your definition of performance

Maybe so. But I’ve seen countless muscle cars decimated at autox events by 140hp Miatas. Guess it just depends on your definition of performance
Exactly, but everyone expects that. I don't understand why the butt hurt is one way.

G
No butt hurt on my part
Good. You seemed miffed. Glad I was wrong.
The Supra should have won. If the kid driving it had turned the traction control back on after doing his burnout, and if he hadn't been snoozing at the start, I think he'd have won.

Back