Not so happy with Lincoln.

I´m focusing into the silliness that is the 2024 Lincolin Natilus.

The current model is 60k+for an ¨American Luxury Brand¨ vehicle, who´s parts are sourced all over North America and assembled at OakVille, Canada. With some export to Asia.

Now the 2024 model will be all built in China, shipped over here. A high end American Luxury Brand being made in China. Something is not right paying for high quality, premo, and have it assembled overseas for pennies on the dollar..

It is crass.

The current model is 60k+for an ¨American Luxury Brand¨ vehicle, who´s parts are sourced all over North America and assembled at OakVille, Canada. With some export to Asia.

Now the 2024 model will be all built in China, shipped over here. A high end American Luxury Brand being made in China. Something is not right paying for high quality, premo, and have it assembled overseas for pennies on the dollar..

It is crass.
They were selling pretty good here pre Covid and then never came back - think Ford must have dropped them and sells mainly 150/250/350’s here …

Could be that car is a popular in China with 10x sales compared to US, so it makes sense to only have one factory producing. The Oakville plant is converting to EV production, I believe.

Something is not right paying for high quality, premo, and have it assembled overseas for pennies on the dollar..

It is crass.
Not necessarily. Apple has proven that it is very possible to build high-quality items in Asia, especially China. Fundamentally, it really depends on the management and the standards that have been set.

At risk of sounding unpopular, my experience with Made in USA products has not been favorable in recent years. They have been mid-pack, at best, when it comes to build quality.

I sat in one of these things when they first came out and was surprised a Lincoln existed that didn't have enough headroom for me to sit in the back seat.. I'm 6'2 and I had to tilt my head sideways to fit in there.

These are global companies, even GM (which is already Chinese) and Ford and Stellantis (Belgian headquarters although some of their North Amecan vehicles are made in USA and or Canada, with many parts made in Mexico (including all those HEMIs (at least the 5.7s).

The other thing to keep in mind: the UAW so Ford or GM just can't shift to the Southeast USA to avoid the union if they want. Labor is their biggest cost.

My GTI was built in Mexico but VW has since left there. According to those who looked at such things the quality was the same, Germany or Mexico.

It is crass.

But automakers manufacturing vehicles in Mexico where the government can't control the drug gangs, many live in poverty, and 1000's of civilians "disappear" each year is OK?

Always thought ' Nautilus' was a strange name for a gussied up Ford edge.

nautilus

nautilus.jpg

courtesy Wikipedia

I don't know about Lincoln, but if China didn't build and buy its own Buicks, Buick would have disappeared like Oldsmobile and Pontiac did years ago. And 25 years ago, would you have rather bought a Camry, Accord or a Alero, Grand Am?

We have no one to blame but ourselves. But we are a free country.

Also to note there is a 25% tariff on Chinese made Buicks. I'm sure Chinese made Lincolns will have a tariff, too.

So being made in China is not exactly a bad thing in regards to reliability, China has modern factories and is very well capable of producing quality products.

The problem is it takes away jobs from America.

Reactions: LDB
...and that´s the thing. Lincolin is a brand that attracts baby boomers, some retried at Covid. They don´t want EV, just a large luxury car with options. They will be UAW-trust fund types... sales isnt´the point , it´s about low volume and performance. It is fascinating that wealthy Chinese people buy China made USA brand over Gehounchoe car company.

The problem is it takes away jobs from America.
Without getting political, it is a competitive market (world) and whoever delivers the best outcome at the lowest cost will often win. For commodity goods, most consumers focus on value - as they should…so labor costs have to remain competitive.

Without getting political, it is a competitive market (world) and whoever delivers the best outcome at the lowest cost will often win. For commodity goods, most consumers focus on value - as they should…so labor costs have to remain competitive.

Well that would be fine if all the global players played by the same rules. Problem is they do not. Only US allows for such free outsourcing and doesn’t penalize importing. Other countries are much more protective of their manufacturing base.

Well that would be fine if all the global players played by the same rules. Problem is they do not. Only US allows for such free outsourcing and doesn’t penalize importing. Other countries are much more protective of their manufacturing base.

The bigger picture is -- it is far cheaper to print dollars and buy real goods from abroad than to make these goods.

Those unemployed? ...Can flip burgers. We are a service oriented economy.

You obviously haven't heard of the Chicken Tax or the HTS.

Back