Not impressed with Deka batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had great luck with Deka deep cycle AGM's sold by Sam's Club.
Had a pair of paralleled AGM grp31 on my travel trailer that lasted almost 5 years. They were bought in the east as Duracell. They died finally on a trip out west and oddly Sam's doesn't seem to sell deep cycle AGM's in the west- at least I couldn't find in in checking with multiple Sam's Clubs. Ended up getting 2 golf cart batteries, not what I wanted, but...

We lost an OEM Panasonic in our FJCruiser and it was replaced with a Sam's Club Eveready AGM bought in Grand Junction CO Scroll forward almost 3 years and it died- totally my fault- went away for several weeks and mistakenly plugged in a phone charger rather than the solar maintainer.
Toted it into my local East Coast Sam's with the West Coast receipt and they initially balked at replacing it as they sold Duracell and not Eveready..
When I showed them the batteries, other than the labels, were identical they replaced it.

The OEM (Johnson Controls) AGM in my 2012 Ram has been in service 7.5 years now. The first 4 years were winters in the Great Lakes region with high ambient temperatures from 106°F summer of 2012 to -17°F & -19°F during the Polar Vortex winters there the next couple of winters. The last 3.5 years have been in San Antonio, TX with high ambient temperatures far more common in the 100+°F range to telatively mild winters, lowest winter temperature since we moved here was 19°F. So it ain't just Apple Valley CA climate at work here Chris.

I'm strongly considering replacing the OEM 94R / H7 AGM with a Champion AGM from Pep Boys. I'll have a battery check performed and compare that with the original specs before the combination of 25% off instantly plus a $40 rebate at Pep Boys ends on Nov 24 and see whether I want to keep the OEM battery another year.

I put the battery on our mechanical charger and charged it a few hours. A load test now shows it as good. It's rated @ 775CCA and the load tester shows 680CCA. I'm going to run it and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back