Not another "Hybrid Full Synthetic" motor oil? This time Valvoline

PimTac
Valvoline is a spin-off brand of Ashland.... still under it's umbrella..... now called Freedom-Valvoline Co.
Been this way since 2017..... much like SOPUS spinning-off Shell, Pennzoil, Quaker State........etc..... all still under SOPUS umbrella.

Last edited:
This is an entirely new product that's too early in it's arrival, for answers to your questions.
Should Valvoline / Ashland reply to you, please let members here know the developments...... thanks.

To be honest, I don't really care what makes Valvoline Hybrid different. I doubt there's anything substantially different that would make this 0W-20 any more suitable for a hybrid engine than a normal, equally licensed 0W-20. However, he had a problem with that assertion so I'm asking him what he thinks a motor oil needs to be better suited for a hybrid engine. I maintain, as I have from the beginning, that this is simply an attempt to not lose market share to Pennzoil.

To the other comment: Valvoline is still owned by Parent company Ashland Global.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone in this business has begun catering to a specific crowd of vehicle purchasers. It's being done in the dog food business too. The brand we use now offers specific breed dog food. There's a half-dozen in our Pet Store today. One is for Poodle... one fora Pitbull.... one for our Schnauzer......etc.

You are right..... really no rhyme or reason for some of this. I doubt the add-packs are noticeably different, unless it's proprietary info. The base oil might be coming from different places too..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
PimTac
Valvoline is a spin-off brand of Ashland.... still under it's umbrella..... now called Freedom-Valvoline Co.
Been this way since 2017..... much like SOPUS spinning-off Shell, Pennzoil, Quaker State........etc..... all still under SOPUS umbrella.

That's old history. Valvoline is a separate company with its own stock shares. (VVV)

That's old history. Valvoline is a separate company with its own stock shares. (VVV)

Valvoline began its initial public offering in September 2016. Ashland announced its plans to sell 20 percent of its common stock through the IPO in April 2016. The split creates the new Ashland, which will include Ashland Specialty Ingredients and Ashland Performance Materials, and Valvoline, which will be based in Lexington.

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted the PI sheets which show some variation between the "regular" Advanced Snthetic, VW 508.00 Synthetic and this Hybrid Synthetic. The biggest of which is the pour point for the VW approved oil of -60 vs -39 for the other two. See page one in this thread.

Come on guys... Just pour some Kendall GT-1 Dexos1 Full Synthetic Gen 2 in that engine and hit the gas pedal. Yahoo.....

nuff said

xtell

Originally Posted by xtell
Come on guys... Just pour some Kendall GT-1 Dexos1 Full Synthetic Gen 2 in that engine and hit the gas pedal. Yahoo.....

nuff said

xtell

yeah, but Whaddya call a Gas pedal in a Hybrid car?

Sometimes it is the gas pedal, other times its something else ?

Originally Posted by xtell

nuff said

xtell

I see the Dexos Kendall in plain-Jane 0w20 online at the petroleum store. But Kendall is late in arriving with anything in 0w16.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rob1715
Marketing. Probably same oil (virtually) just in a different bottle.

No, an entirely different formulation.

Strange thread with the typical red herrings and ranting.

It is obvious that manufacturers have not specified different, hybrid oils, so stop arguing that this means there’s no advantage to a new type of oil. It’s an idiotic argument.

Valvoline specifically says the oil uniquely fights moisture buildup common in a hybrid engine, among other things. You can either appreciate the intent and invest in the product because you believe in the engineering, or not. Saying it’s snake oil or no different directly in the face of Valvoline saying otherwise is just stupid and a waste of everyone’s time.

This place gets fixated on stuff and it’s annoying. Try to think more and argue less.

Back