Not all letters typing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would cause my computer to skip letters when typing, it drives me crazy and I have to go back and fix missing letters in words. I tried a different keyboard and defragging the computer, neither helped. Anyone else ever had this This a ypical attemted type message, it can get agrevating. Thanks fr any help.

R bth kybrds drty?
LOL.gif

The only time my computer did this is when my daughter spilled a cup of coffee on the keyboard of my laptop. $300 later for another keyboard and DVD writer I am back in business. Depending on the CPU usage of my wifes desktop it will take a little while for the letters to catch up, they are all there just a second or two late.

1: If you have a wireless keyboard, change the batteries. Low battery and low signal can cause random typing problems at faster speeds.

2: If it is a USB keyboard and swapping it didn't help, make sure you've got the latest chipset drivers.

3: Possibly a trojan or other stupid windows problem like a previous poster said. Have you tried a different USB port?

4: If it is a PS/2 keyboard (old) try a USB keyboard - the ps2 header on your motherboard may be going out. It happens.

5: Cleaned your case recently? Get a can of canned air and a shop-vac and blow out the dust with the canned air into the vacuum. sometimes that can be a random cause of problems.

Oh, nd heads up to the guy who had soda spilled on the keyboard:

in the future, and old techie trick is to remove the keyboard and carefully soak it in denatured alcohol. Just go to home depot and buy denatured alcohol in the paint section. make sure it is the kind that is denatured with methanol - others will eat plastic.

Immerse the keyboard in alcohol for about 15 minutes. Then, take it out and let the alcohol evaporate overnight. this will usually dislodge sticky stuff that messes up the keyboard and creates short circuits.

Last edited:
Does this happen just in text boxes like in your web browser or on simple things like notepad too?

Sometimes text boxes load java or another layer of junk that slows stuff down.

I personally hate when a website like ebay recenters my mouse cursor when the page has finished loading. If I'm typing before the page loads that gets lost or garbled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back