Not all are maintenance-free

Well, that was a little surprise. The Midget's battery bit the bullet. Had it tested late last season, didn't meet the cranking amps, but it still had enough oomph to get it started. Started it a few days ago, and nope, no go despite being fully charged. Pulled it out to go get a new one, and realized it had two big caps on it. Whoops, didn't realize it was not a maintenance free battery. Pulled them off, and a few cells were low, though the plates were still covered. Also noticed the date code, 2014. Not too shabby at eight years, but Autzone sold me the same kind. Still has the caps, but slightly improved CCA at 500 instead of 475.

Watch out for those removable caps, not all car batteries are maintenance free.

East Penn ones are, the AZ, Interstate, WM Value Power/Maxx Starts, and other assorted JCI/Clarios ones aren’t! Generally need distilled added at least once a year, after summer/hot dry weather. If the plates were still covered, that wasn’t the reason it failed, although filled is better than not.

Why watch out? You got a higher than average, 8 year lifespan. I simply check the level every year or two, less often than I check any other fluid level or other wear items.

Heh, 3 out of 4 posters in this topic in Ohio!

If it covered the plates, then being a little low was not why it failed. Went with a friend to start his 2 stored Mustangs last fall, and when one showed a little low on some cells, we let it as it was. If it ain't broke don't fix it. With very old batteries I have seen them fail shortly after topping off low cells. If it is on its way out due to age, making the acid weaker is not going to help it make more CA or CCA. Especially for a garage queen that is not going up and down hills on a regular basis causing the forward or back facing top of the cells to become uncovered while being charged.

On a battery that should still have several years of service ahead of it, and it is regularly driven, then top it off with denatured water if you have it, or distilled if that is the only thing available.

Back