Not a pretty site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jumped into the B2300 to head out to pick up some $3.85/gal fuel; did a quick start and the engine raced to fast idle and I heard a thump-thump under the hood; engine went down to idle and heard another thump.

I immediately cut the engine.

Jumped out and checked under the truck to see if there was a puddle of oil or anything... nothing.

Popped the hood and a grey squirrel darts off into the woods leaving behind a blood splattered engine compartment and some grey fur on the serpentine belt. Sorry no pics, I raced for the hose, not my camera (or frypan) Experience sort of gave me the creeps.

I find gobs of inspiration on BITOG.
wink.gif

Started my first car one morning and heard a screech that sounded very un car like...opened the bonnet, and out leaped a very startled white cat...undamaged, but scared the freak out of both of us I think.

so was the fast idle normal for the cold start or do you think he got his furry tail in the throttle?

check your air filter for acorns.

On a trip from Nevada, MO to Stockton, MO we had a kitten ride the entire way under the hood of the Escape. Talk about some rough roads. We couldn't get him out once we discovered him.. left sometime during the night. I've always wondered where campground cats came from.

When I worked at a John Deere dealership a couple years ago, I drove the semi on occasion to deliver/pick up equipment, when our truck driver called in 'sick' (drunk, that is). One time I had to load a 9650 combine- about a 50,000 pound machine with something in the neighborhood of 300hp. I started the monstrosity up, and it seemed to run a little rough- I didn't think much of it- it smoothed out as soon as I revved the engine a little.

Loaded it on the trailer, chained it down, brought the truck around in front of the shop to go get directions from the boss... and noticed that antifreeze was dripping from the radiator area. Pulled down the ladder and climbed up there to find furry chunks scattered around the engine compartment. At first I thought it was a possum, considering some little pink underdeveloped critters scattered around with the furry chunks. But the chunks were definitely feline.

So I got my gloves, picked up and disposed of what I could find.

It's amazing how much damage that cat did. Took out the radiator, the charge air cooler, the fan, the timing cover, and two aluminum accessory brackets, the fan shroud, and an engine cover. I don't remember the exact final cost, but it was in the neighborhood of $3000, all said and done.

It took a couple weeks for the insurance company to ok the repairs. Luckily, I didn't work on it. One of my fellow mechanics said I missed a few chunks... and didn't seem happy about that.

We picked up a load of flooring from Lowes one day and on our way out, noticed a guy in a pkp with a dead feline hanging out from under the front end. Had we not had 900 lbs in my little car, I would have gone back and told them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back