Normal to use oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it normal to use oil by switching different brands? I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.3 V6. It's always had 5w20 Castrol GTX. Switched over to PYB and after 3k it's used 1/2 quart of oil. Is this normal? Keep in mind the van has never used used while using GTX.

I think Pennzoil is made with more synthetic in the blend than Castrol is. It is common to use some oil when switching from dino to synthetic, and then consumption stops during the first or second oil change.

It's not completely abnormal, just keep an eye on it and top up as needed. When it does occur, it usually starts to decrease very quickly. So the initial loss is usually the worse, and then it keeps getting less and less. It's not uncommon to not need to top up on the second OCI, or even if you do just very little.

It might fill itself up. Iv tried different brands in the past to see which brand had the best sealer additives for my car.

I used Pennzoil High mileage and switched to MaxLife. At first it started leaking more but after my second OCI with MaxLife it cured my rear main seal leak.

Give it some time it might just be a little seal additive withdrawal lol.

Originally Posted By: jorton
I think Pennzoil is made with more synthetic in the blend than Castrol is.

I was wrong about that. They look about the same.

Originally Posted By: beadvised
Is it normal to use oil by switching different brands? I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.3 V6. It's always had 5w20 Castrol GTX. Switched over to PYB and after 3k it's used 1/2 quart of oil. Is this normal? Keep in mind the van has never used used while using GTX.

It can happen as a one off aberration after the switch to the different oil.
It can also become an ongoing normality for that oil in your particular application.

Another person may have a different outcome altogether.
You just have to suck it and see.

Last edited:
I switched oils last change and I went through about 1 and a 3rd qrts in 5000 miles. I had to add some in between and some at 5000. My civic usually uses 1/2 to 3/4s of a qrt in 5000 to over 6000 miles before I change it..

My brother in law's Sienna is a 2002 and its using to much oil, maybe a qrt every 1000 miles? He uses conventional oil and hasn't had it checked out yet , it has 117 k only!

any quick thoughts?

Thanks

My 2005 has the same 3.3 engine. It always consumed about 1/4 to 1/2 quart about every 2k miles no matter what brand or grade I used. I had an intake manifold gasket leak and had the shop go ahead and replace the PCV valve at that time. I have not had any noticeable consumption yet in the past 2 oil changes and both were different brands of 5w20. Could be just from switching brands, but if you have never changed the PCV valve, it is worth trying. I know some of the 3.8's are known oil burners but it is not nearly as common on the 3.3.

Originally Posted By: jorton
I think Pennzoil is made with more synthetic in the blend than Castrol is. It is common to use some oil when switching from dino to synthetic, and then consumption stops during the first or second oil change.

I'd go with this. It should stop in a couple thousand miles.

Did you run Pennzoil conventional or Pennzoil synthetic blend?

I ran PYB in my Jeep with no noticeable consumption after 5000 miles. It consumed about half a quart every 3000 miles when I ran QS Defy.

Results seem to vary depending on engines and their moods. Lol.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
I switched oils last change and I went through about 1 and a 3rd qrts in 5000 miles. I had to add some in between and some at 5000. My civic usually uses 1/2 to 3/4s of a qrt in 5000 to over 6000 miles before I change it..

Please....1/3 quart per 5k miles is hardly using oil enough to worry about at all...even 3/4 qt per 6k isn't...

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
No 1 1/3 qrts, not 1/3 of a qrt

oops....still 4/3 per 5k is not a serious drop from typical engine usage...that's 1 quart per 3750mi...at that much a drop I would indeed try an HM oil for a few OCs...good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back