Norma/Torro vs Constant Tension Clamps

Need to replace the cheap worm gear clamps that I have on the upper hose of my brother's 08 Navigator. I'm leaning towards the quality, norma/torro clamps that are available on Belmetric mainly because I can install those without having to drain the coolant and remove the hose.

Would y'alll go through the trouble of emptying the system just to install the constant tension clamps?

Is it due a coolant change anyway? If so, then this would seem to say change the coolant along with the clamp. Good timing I say.
No unfortunately. I replaced the radiator and hoses along with some fresh G05 about 2 years ago and these cheap clamps keep needing to be tightened up.

I always use tension clamps - but given your situation I might be tempted to try some high quality screw clamps. Worst case - you have to redo it again to spring clamps in the future and learned something along the way.

I do know lots of people that use screw clamps with success. They seem to work OK for the larger rad hoses, not so well for smaller hoses.

Need to replace the cheap worm gear clamps that I have on the upper hose of my brother's 08 Navigator. I'm leaning towards the quality, norma/torro clamps that are available on Belmetric mainly because I can install those without having to drain the coolant and remove the hose.

Would y'alll go through the trouble of emptying the system just to install the constant tension clamps?
1) Whats the problem with draining the system?
2) Why would you have to empty the system if it's the upper hose? Just need to remove a quart or two to drop the coolant level a little.

You can install constant-torque hose clamps without draining anything. These are available at NAPA:

1669519610238.jpg

I always use tension clamps - but given your situation I might be tempted to try some high quality screw clamps. Worst case - you have to redo it again to spring clamps in the future and learned something along the way.

I do know lots of people that use screw clamps with success. They seem to work OK for the larger rad hoses, not so well for smaller hoses.
The norma/torro type screw clamps is what all of the older german cars I've owned have used from the factory. In fact, my newer cars, including the Navigator use these clamps in some clamped connections as well. Have never leaked either unlike the cheap screw clamps you get from the local parts store.

1) Whats the problem with draining the system?
2) Why would you have to empty the system if it's the upper hose? Just need to remove a quart or two to drop the coolant level a little.
Any time I can avoid getting underneath a vehicle to fix it, I will. You do make a good point about not needing to drain all that much though.

I would just buy and put oem clamps back on. You should be able to drain some of the coolant out of the radiator petcock if it has one then you can pour it right back in.

I would just buy and put oem clamps back on. You should be able to drain some of the coolant out of the radiator petcock if it has one then you can pour it right back in.
I've asked my current dealer that I go to for alignments for the OEM clamp and there isn't a part number for it. Dealer was the one that put on these cheap screw clamps. That dealer is out of business now. Awful service.

If you don't want to play with coolant, at least put Norma Torro WF, it's the best "normal" clamp.

If you don't want to play with coolant, at least put Norma Torro WF, it's the best "normal" clamp.
Oh, interesting, belmetric doesn't have those WF clamps with the wave spring that automatically re-tensions. I do like that.

Back