Constant Tension Clamp Inventory Help

You gentlemen that are recommending constant tension spring clamps :
- how does one keep an assortment on hand to cover your shop needs? If managing numerous vehicles, one cannot order OEM ones every time.
- Are there quality brands one should choose?
- Is there a rule of thumb when sizing the clamps about how much of the "tang use" is correct? I.E., should the tangs be about 50% of total open when installed?

Thanks. At my workplace shop, I manage vehicles, farm equipment, outdoor power equipment.
1711850596793.jpg

There are various designs of constant tension hose clamps. The one you show is the simplest kind. Then there are those that look like wormdrive clamps but they feature a tensioner spring. I'd look for ABA, NORMA. Oetiker. Stainless steel, of course.

Thank you. That's a start. In the 15mm wide version, Belmetrics offers 40 different sizes. Can I assume that there is some overlap in size use? Could one get by setting up an assortment of every third size? At least every other size should work, correct, getting down an assortment from 40 to 20 sizes? Anyone experienced with this? I just sent an email to Belmetrics.

@vavavroom - those wormdrive spring tension clamps are sweet, but at $10 -$14 each, it's tough to keep an assortment at hand. Because I never see them in everyday use, I have to imagine they are for very special needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: D60
I like the idea of that sample set of new clamps of various sizes to have on hand. I am going to order one. For now I have collected my spares from the pick n pull and from used engines I do which come with the hoses on the motor but cut off. I grab one as needed.

Just an FYI follow up. Belmetrics contacted me and stated that the 12mm clamps are used more on European vehicles and recommended I stay with the 15mm wide ones. He stated that the clamps are "very incremental" and that one should be o.k. stocking every other size.

He also tossed in a sales pitch that their manufacturer supplies CAT and John Deere. I have no connection to Belmetrics whatsoever. In this day and age of imported junk, it is necessary to attempt to buy quality. I wonder who supplies McMaster Carr?

That belmetics set looks nice, but honestly Nissan OEM are about the same price per piece (there cheap for small, a couple bucks for large - often need to buy 10 at a shot. Over the years I have quite the selection at this point. There very high quality, the issue is always finding the part number.

Reactions: D60
Back