Nordman Solstice

My 2011 Chrysler T&C needs tires before winter, and I’ve been torn between cheapo all seasons or dropping a few more bucks on all weather tires. I found the new Nordman Solstice (made by Nokian) on Amazon for a decent price and pulled the trigger. This tire seemed to be a good compromise of price and all weather capability. They will arrive on my porch next week.

Yeah I saw those recently. They seem to be the old WRG3. Nokian's Nordman line is older Nokian models with a new name.

Nokian makes outstanding tires IMO, I've used them. The only reason why I don't buy tires online is that I cannot specify built date, I don't buy tires that are older than 6 months. I've found that by shopping around, especially if done early, I can get the same deals or very very close to them. Nordman is the budget line of Nokian, I have no idea what they have cut/omitted in them to make them "Budget"

Nokian makes outstanding tires IMO, I've used them. The only reason why I don't buy tires online is that I cannot specify built date, I don't buy tires that are older than 6 months. I've found that by shopping around, especially if done early, I can get the same deals or very very close to them. Nordman is the budget line of Nokian, I have no idea what they have cut/omitted in them to make them "Budget"
nothing they reuse old molds which are basically free.. therefore old model= budget version

My 2011 Chrysler T&C needs tires before winter, and I’ve been torn between cheapo all seasons or dropping a few more bucks on all weather tires. I found the new Nordman Solstice (made by Nokian) on Amazon for a decent price and pulled the trigger. This tire seemed to be a good compromise of price and all weather capability. They will arrive on my porch next week.

The Solstice is basically Nokian WR G3 lineup of tires.

The Nordmans arrived on Saturday and were mounted and balanced today. Initial impressions after 7 miles: Noticeably quieter than the worn out Hankook Optimos they replaced. Handling and ride quality is also noticeably better.

No snow here yet, but I will get to test that out soon enough.

Attachments

• 0E403C8F-03F1-4C46-93FD-C6E46E5CD04D.jpeg
    0E403C8F-03F1-4C46-93FD-C6E46E5CD04D.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 317
  • 795375E6-FFA0-433C-A4D5-8DD7C602CE19.jpeg
    795375E6-FFA0-433C-A4D5-8DD7C602CE19.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 318
  • 153B90FA-F208-46BA-B0CD-08A80E95A9E7.jpeg
    153B90FA-F208-46BA-B0CD-08A80E95A9E7.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 309
  • 41F4F817-65CE-41DF-B123-C466E445FF82.jpeg
    41F4F817-65CE-41DF-B123-C466E445FF82.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 283
The Nordmans arrived on Saturday and were mounted and balanced today. Initial impressions after 7 miles: Noticeably quieter than the worn out Hankook Optimos they replaced. Handling and ride quality is also noticeably better.

No snow here yet, but I will get to test that out soon enough.
you got the Assymmetric version, derived from the Nokian WR A4, for more powerful cars.

I was going to get these Solstices for my 300 but after seeing three different tread designs for the same tire I passed on them. *** is Nordman thinking with 3 different tread designs?! They aren't even vaguely close, might as well be different tires! I went with Michelin CrossClimate 2s instead and been happy so far...

I was going to get these Solstices for my 300 but after seeing three different tread designs for the same tire I passed on them. *** is Nordman thinking with 3 different tread designs?! They aren't even vaguely close, might as well be different tires! I went with Michelin CrossClimate 2s instead and been happy so far...
You mean Nokian? In the WR G3 timeframe, they decided to save money and use existing molds to accommodate the various sizes, WR D3 (directional), WR A3 (assymmetric), and WR SUV 3 (directional) instead of picking one or 2 patterns instead.

The WR G2 had 2 patterns, one for passenger cars and one for SUV's.

But, they are down to one pattern for the WR G4 and WR G4 SUV, taken from the WR A4

Update: We’ve finally received some winter weather. This van is a totally different vehicle on winter roads with the Nordmans. Times when I would have slid or not have been able to get traction with the previous Hankook H724 tires have felt like normal driving. Considering tire prices and availability right now, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy these again. I’ve never owned another 3PMSF all-season tire so I don’t really have much to compare it to, but I’m pretty happy with my purchase.

Not wanting to bring a dead thread back to life but can you give us a one year update of the nordmans?
I have just under 10,000 miles on them and have been pleased with them overall. These are the first 3PMSF tires I’ve ever had and I don’t plan on going through another South Dakota winter without. I haven’t measured tread depth but they seem to be wearing well, which is a plus with how minivans go through tires.

I would buy this tire again if the price was right. I paid $114.75 per tire on Amazon (via Tires Easy) on 10/25/2021. The same tire is now $155.51, so it may not be the value it once was. For a 235/60R16, the WR G4 is actually cheaper at the moment.

Last edited:
going to revive an old thread - How are the tires holding up after 2 years?

I just picked up a set of Nordman solstices for my Accord. It came down to these or Armstrong Blu-Trac PC Flex but paid about $20 more for the Nokians due to a higher 500A wear rating vs Armstrong’s 340AA. Plus Ive had good experiences with Nokian’s all season line of tires. As long as I can get 30k out of them before they hit 5-6/32nds I’d be happy with the purchase.

I’m still running the Nordmans on the van and they’ve been great. I currently have 21k on the tires and am at 6/32 all the way around which is actually exceeding my expectations.

Wouldn't 6/32 be "wear bars" for winter performance?

Krzyś
I believe as long as the snowflake is still visible on the tread depth indicator that they meet requirements for winter performance.

Attachments

• IMG_3573.jpeg
    IMG_3573.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 11
Wouldn't 6/32 be "wear bars" for winter performance?

Krzyś
6/32 is "ok" replace before next winter is likely needed.

The wrg2 suv on the 2013 outback had better traction at 3/32 than the oem tires at full depth... of course it might be different in 6" or 8" of snow.. but on the typical plowed surface they were great.. they did wear out in about 38k miles on a outback which was expected.. minivans even worse for that.

Back