Non winter rated engine powering snow blower

Went to the dealer today to get an oil change kit and mentioned that I felt the engine was not getting very warm and had to drain some oil last winter due to getting overfull. He knew what I was talking about, and said that this Honda engine has a robust cooling system designed for hot summer use and recommended a factory fan cover to restrict air. Honda calls it a winter kit.
$50 seems like a lot for this little cover, but bought it because I didn't like putting tape on and guessing how much to put on and hope to not overheat the engine.
I guess I should have asked the dealer about my concern right away. For clarification this isn't a Honda snowblower, I bought this Honda engine from a family owned small engine dealer/repair shop, and installed on a Bercomac snowblower.

Attachments

• honda winter kit.jpg
    honda winter kit.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 11
I have a feeling it's both.

Pretty rare to have much dust/dirt in the air when snowblowing and fine snow could clog an air cleaner element.
Snowmobiles either 2 or 4 stroke do not have air filters either for the same reasons. Some have fine screens in the cowls to limit snow dust intake but no actual filters. Even on the turbo equipped ones also. They have to start and go out in the boonies.
And we are talking about 60 to 180hp motors today.

Reactions: JTK
Back