Non smart TV

I found no such animal a couple of years ago when I replaced my set.
Closest thing that I could find was an exterior grade set. Cost was over 7K for a big screen.

Mine is a smart TV but I'm not using those features and it's not connected to the net. My viewing is either DVD, OTA or through a NUC computer connected to the net for HULU, HBO Max, Amazon and YouTube.

We got a really smart TV. It's a 42 inch Samsung that was free on Freecycle.

My wife and I are also paid $15 a month for some Neilsen like service to track our watching. We rarely spend more than an hour a day watching shows and it lowers our effective Internet price to only $15 a month. We have been doing that since well before COVID (late 2018).

Yes we do have a ton of free channels and with my business Prime account that I need for my work no matter what, we get Prime Video as well.

Personally I love the idea of getting an antenna some day when we move but until I retire this is going to be our set-up.

I suppose it might be possible to just get a large HDMI monitor with external audio. But for the most part it's so cheap to put the smart TV hardware integral to the TV.

At the very least, traditional TVs would have a tuner and the ability to just take a cable TV input. On an older TV I'd just connect the cable line and would get video directly without a cable box. Or I suppose the idea might be to connect a cable box.

Any manufacturers that still make a normal TV with no features except audio and video inputs?
Get a monitor with a soundbar

I suppose it might be possible to just get a large HDMI monitor with external audio. But for the most part it's so cheap to put the smart TV hardware integral to the TV.

At the very least, traditional TVs would have a tuner and the ability to just take a cable TV input. On an older TV I'd just connect the cable line and would get video directly without a cable box. Or I suppose the idea might be to connect a cable box.

The device that decodes over the air video is the same thing that makes a tv smart, so 90% of what you need is already in the set.

If you don’t want the vulnerability of smart features just don’t enter WiFi info, my smart set doesn’t allow you to forget a connection or reset/erase so I ended up changing WiFi once the set went EOL and continued communicating despite none of the features working

Last edited:
Back