NOCO GB20 vs GB40

I wonder what the difference is between the two? On paper the specs are the same except for the output amps. Maybe it has different batteries in it? But the weight and dimensions are identical.

Screenshot_20231120-170006_Chrome.jpg

Im not real happy with my GB40. Unless its got a 100% charge (green light) its pretty worthless for jumpstarting. I may send it in to Noco to see what they say, trouble starting a GM 4 cyl when its rated for a 6.0L V8 makes me think its dying an early death.

a) It’s possible that they’re identical products and just advertised as having different peak amperage ratings or…
b) The GB20 really does provide less starting amperage due to programming (electronic limitations) or…
c) That specification sheet is incorrect

Just like with stereo systems, you cannot trust the peak values that are advertised by the manufacturer. This is a current “spike” which is not the same as a consistent amperage drawn by a vehicle’s starting system.

My GB40 started my Mom’s Vortec 6.0 (completely dead battery). It performed as advertised in my book.

Ditto, charge once per year. Helped a stalled Harley on the road side last week with the gb40. Small engine, not a real test for it, but it was so much quicker than using cables.

Back