No start, stuck key, no power

My 1997 Blazer did that and it was the ignition switch itself. Replaced with an Autozone and it failed a year later. Replaced with GM one and it is still working today (about 8 years).
The lock itself doesn't change, so the key doesn't change. Just the rotary switch part goes bad.
The ignition switch is 2 years old. Factory part, but I did have to modify the steering column (ie break an aluminum tab and use a zip tie to hold a button/ switch in place.) Maybe it’s for the 98+ models. It seems to be holding. It was causing the truck to only drop down to 3rd gear.

Last edited:
There are 2 different versions, The "molded" kind & The slip fit cover kind. On the molded version I cut the molded rubber off with a Dremel tool. The slip fit, I disassemble using a radiator hose pick to get the nut out of the cover. A heat gun is your friend when peeling the nuts out off the covers.

There are OE style rebuild kits & are great IF you have the right open barrel crimp tool for the lugs......HERE

There are 2 different versions, The "molded" kind & The slip fit cover kind. On the molded version I cut the molded rubber off with a Dremel tool. The slip fit, I disassemble using a radiator hose pick to get the nut out of the cover. A heat gun is your friend when peeling the nuts out off the covers.

There are OE style rebuild kits & are great IF you have the right open barrel crimp tool for the lugs......HERE
Sorry I’m just now seeing this. Thanks for the reply.

What crimp tool is needed?

Back