No more Nissans for me. Long post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rohan
Here my stories:

so I bought used 2004 Nissan maxima 3.5L in 2006 that had 34,000 miles on it. After 2 weeks later I started to get cel n btw this was my 1st car so I got check it by dealership n told me it's 02 sensor n I asked them how much [censored] they said $500 for just 02 sensor replace. I left n I didn't really care about 02 sensor until I got up to 77,000 miles when I lost powers n got code showing p044 for cat mainfold. By time Nissan replace with new cat mainfold 3 days later my engine started making noise like rods blew. I was like [censored] after that I bought new used engine within 600 miles from 2004 maxima n installed by shop.

After that I got tranny problem like banging, slipping oh yeah also crank sensor bad to. I'm still driving that car with bad tranny lol as long I can after that I'll swap to 6spd n put headers.

Ummm...your car should have been under the 3yr/36k mile warranty. Why would they charge you $500?

And an O2 sensor is ~$100 and labor is ~$50-70 from a mechanic. No offense but it sounds like you don't care for your car well.

Maybe he went from 34K to over 36K miles in that 2weeks or maybe the dealer was just trying to pull a fast one and acted like either the warranty didn't transfer or didn't cover the O2 sensor
21.gif
. Otherwise good catch.

Couldn't the OP just buy an aftermarket header that doesn't have a cat? When I researched, that was the usual fix.

In my vehicle in the sig, I put a catless header from DME for only $189 with free ship, and over the last 6 tanks of gas, I even gained an average of about 2 mpg.

Most 2.5L owners that I know either hollowed out the cat or added a header. The issue was known over 7 years ago.

When you have ANY vehicle, you should research the 'family' history and mod to prevent it.

My Toyota is a sludge monster. I use a synthetic. No issue.

My friends Subaru will eventually eat a head gasket. He is religious with coolant maintenance and adds coolant stop leak. Again, no issue.

My neighbor's GM eats intake gaskets. He monitors coolant level constantly and uses stopleak. No issue.

My coworkers Hyundai bakes ATF. We installed a cooler. No issue.

There isn't an automaker immune to 'issues'. Most can be prevented. Obviously, if you knew about the 'cat issue', you should've gone beyond the dealer fix. I guess that I don't bad mouth OE engineering enough here.

Rohan, your modded/abused Maxima failed because of YOU.

I won't buy a new Nissan because I don't care for CVT or Ester, and bloated vehicles/SUVs. And, like what Toyota did in the past few years, Nissan is losing touch with their consumers. I miss my 1995 Pathfinder SE(even though the 2000 Xterra was close). Nissan has nothing today that would touch an '88 Maxima, '92 Stanza, '93 Altima, or '90 Sentra, all vehicles that lasted 200k-300k miles with minimal maintenance. Nothing today sold by Nissan or Toyota is that capable.

Quote:
Most 2.5L owners that I know either hollowed out the cat or added a header. The issue was known over 7 years ago.

When you have ANY vehicle, you should research the 'family' history and mod to prevent it.
Congratulations to your brilliant friends, they also broke law by modifying the emission sytem, just a minor point thought I'd mention.

There was also a recall by Nissan in early 03 to repair said precat issue. That recall was done in a timely manner according to Nissan standards and specs, that was "supposed "to repair the issue. Just another minor point you failed to mention. Again, not being clairvoyant, I didn't know that Nissan was lying to their customers and the recall was a sham.

Nope, this one is all on Nissan, and for most responding to/reading this thread, it's been clear to see. What other vehicles/makes/models have done is immaterial specifically as related to the 02-03 2.5L. So point/opinion noted, but not taken.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I have never cared for Nissan cars/trucks though their forklifts were wonderful.
I have and still own Toyotas and at one time they were cheap cars made good. Now they are really cheap cars made not as good. I doubt i would buy another Toyota.

I believe Nissan built a better compact truck than Toyota did from 1985-1995 or so. The Hardbody was an excellent truck, the Frontier never lived up to that truck's reputation though.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: Rohan
Here my stories:

so I bought used 2004 Nissan maxima 3.5L in 2006 that had 34,000 miles on it. After 2 weeks later I started to get cel n btw this was my 1st car so I got check it by dealership n told me it's 02 sensor n I asked them how much [censored] they said $500 for just 02 sensor replace. I left n I didn't really care about 02 sensor until I got up to 77,000 miles when I lost powers n got code showing p044 for cat mainfold. By time Nissan replace with new cat mainfold 3 days later my engine started making noise like rods blew. I was like [censored] after that I bought new used engine within 600 miles from 2004 maxima n installed by shop.

After that I got tranny problem like banging, slipping oh yeah also crank sensor bad to. I'm still driving that car with bad tranny lol as long I can after that I'll swap to 6spd n put headers.

Ummm...your car should have been under the 3yr/36k mile warranty. Why would they charge you $500?

Maybe they were trying to get me over.

And an O2 sensor is ~$100 and labor is ~$50-70 from a mechanic. No offense but it sounds like you don't care for your car well.

will I changed the 02 sensor when cat mainfold got damage after 3 days later when rod blew it on me. U r right I didn't know anythin about engine that time after I came here n I'm learning new everyday here.

Originally Posted By: dsmdriver2588
Couldn't the OP just buy an aftermarket header that doesn't have a cat? When I researched, that was the usual fix.

U are right buy header n call it day. eBay header are 200-$300 n cattman header wit y-pipe is $1000-$1500 n plus we won't have issue like eBay will have.

In my vehicle in the sig, I put a catless header from DME for only $189 with free ship, and over the last 6 tanks of gas, I even gained an average of about 2 mpg.

yup every header we can gains mpg or lost due to how engine is tune.

There isn't an automaker immune to 'issues'. Most can be prevented. Obviously, if you knew about the 'cat issue', you should've gone beyond the dealer fix. I guess that I don't bad mouth OE engineering enough here.

Rohan, your modded/abused Maxima failed because of YOU.

Yes I know is my fault but I learn. But I'm talking care off my new engine plus I know I'll have problem in furture when I get to 70,000 miles on cat mainfold. I have around 30,000-35,000 current.

But don't think this model of maxima 2004-2006 only have cat mainfold n tranny problem. There are still more problem with this car like: front strut go bad around 15,000 n strut mount due to bad design, airbag stay around, n alot more can't remeber.
There is tranny classsuit case still going on about tranny for 2004-2006 on maxima.org. Nissan made an wrost maxima ever.

Think it about people paid 25k-40k for maxima n after u had problem there then Nissan should stand behind. But they don't care cuz they get easy money coming not for us we work hard everyday for money.

Originally Posted By: dsmdriver2588
Couldn't the OP just buy an aftermarket header that doesn't have a cat?

Depends--does he live where there is emissions testing? If the vehicle doesn't throw a P0420, it'll probably fail the visual inspection.

Quote:
Well, I suppose I could have had I known that Nissan's recall for the precat repair was totally bogus, and that 100% of the precats would fail causing engine damage, no matter how excellent the maintenance to the vehicle. I have the all the records to back up that my 2.5L Altima was well maintained. I was deceived by Nissan into thinking the recall fixed the issue, as were lots of other owners.

As for the aftermarket header or hollowed out precat, had I known with certainty Nissan was blowing smoke with the recall I could have done that. However doing that also means breaking the law for altering the emission system. While I wouldn't criticize anyone who did this in this case, I don't think it would have been a solution I would have been comfortable with. I likely would have gotten rid of the vehicle sooner, but in a time frame of my choosing. Anyway, by the time I found out, the engine was already damaged.

Lastly, a Camry sludger was mentioned as an analogous situation. Sure, 'if one knew' they had a sludger then changing the oil more often and/or using a synthetic would be options to avoid the issue, and it wouldn't be illegal like modifying the precat/header. However the point doesn't apply, Nissan recalled to "fix" the issue, and misrepresented the efficacy of the recall.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

I believe Nissan built a better compact truck than Toyota did from 1985-1995 or so. The Hardbody was an excellent truck, the Frontier never lived up to that truck's reputation though.

I owned a 97 Hardbody that my dad owned before me.
He bought it new and put 100k on it ,and then I put 50k on it ,and then it was totaled.
Fluid changes. Thats it.
Original everything including the clutch.

I currently have a 93 HB with 151k that I beat the [censored] out of.
Runs great.

Back in 01 when my dad gave me the Hardbody, he replaced it with a brand new 01 supercharged Froniter. That truck now has 228k and runs excellent. Just replaced the original supercharger.
I also have a 04 Frontier. 65k with no probs although that is very low mileage for that truck.
In my experience the 1st gen Frontier is every bit as solid as the Hardbody was.

I'm sure there are many good Nissans,however,Sayjac,was treated badly by Nissan,so he is right to change brands.

I bought a used 1992 Sentra SER with 30K in 1995 and sold it in 2003 with 120K. It was one of the best cars I've ever owned.
When I first got it there was a howling noise from the rear which turned out to be a bad wheel bearing...which Nissan replaced under warranty. A few years later (approx. 2001) the car died while I was driving it and it turned out to be a bad fuel pump. After I replaced the pump I learned that there was a recall and I contacted Nissan who reimbursed me for the pump AND the TOWING (I had done the labor myself or they would have reimbursed me for that too). Needless to say, I was impressed with Nissan.
I wouldn't buy a Nissan now because I agree they went downhill when they got in bed with Ghosn and Renault.
BON JOUR...

PS: I would bet that my old 1992 SER is still running. The SR20DE was a great motor.

Early QR2.5's had issues with pre cat internals falling apart and particles being ingested back into the engine causing piston ring damage and oil consumption. Unfortinately, that looks like what happened in your case.

Some '05 and '06 2.5 models have oil consumprion issues because Nissan got a bad set or piston rings (out of spec?) form a supplier. Nissan gave [censored] to owners of cars that have been sold and their suggestion was to just keep ading oil in most caseses, and even excessive consumption (can't remember the exact amount/mi) was according to Nissan normal. New cars were pulled off the lots, and engines were rebuilt with proper piston rings. My '06 is one of them, and the engine warranty was extended to 10yr/100k mi. My Altima is at 90+k mi now with zero breakdowns, but engine has been making loud rattling noise when warm since new (comopared to other same year 2.5s) which according to Nissan is normal.
My '08Z with only 16k mi has serious tire cupping issue up front. Nissan says alignment warranty exprired after 12mo/12k mi and I'm on my own. Early- '03, '04Zs had this problem, but I figured it was fixed by '08 and I did not look into this before I bought my new Z. Nissan's fix for the early Z's was to swap the front tires side to side, and to re align the car to their new specs. Most owners have never resolved this issue, and most years seem to be affected. I purchesed my Z with auto trans, because their 6-speed was revised 9 times between '03 and '07 due to syncro failure issues. I'm not looking forward to having to fork out $500 every 16k mi on new front tires/alignment, so I'm DONE with Nissan also. Might go with aftermarket suspension in the future to se if it helps the cupping/feathering.

I love Nissan .. My dad had a b13 sentra with 300k miles pushing 170whp on the GA16DE, sold it a year ago and it's still running with the new owner.. My friend has a 2003 maxima 6spd that gets killed everyday and still goes.. Before that he had a 2003 SpecV that he KILLED.. He would powershift it everyday making the tires spin in 3rd gear.. Still went like [censored]. Another friend has a G35 with 225k miles.. He doesn't maintain it and redlined it everyday, it's never had a problem.. Not even the tiniest thing.

My 2004 SpecV is my track car.. It has 106k miles of rally, autocross, drag, road racing... Never had an issue, doesn't even burn oil, vacuum and compression is perfect. I will keep buying Nissan
smile.gif

My sons had some issues with Nissans. M had a 200sx which broke a clutch cable, had a wheel bearing go bad, and main fuse go bad with under 70k and E bought a cherry '00 Max and in 2 yrs he had a cooling fan bearings go bad and a starter go out (expensive). He said He'll buy another when He is more financially stable. Nice car but also had noisy suspension and hood latch broke. There is a reason Nissans don't hold their value like a Honda or Toyota.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I'm sure there are many good Nissans,however,Sayjac,was treated badly by Nissan,so he is right to change brands.

Definitely has that right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back