No headlights, but DRL, Parking Lights, Dash light

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first Taurus. 94 SHO 3.2. Best car i've ever owned by far.

Interesting problem though. Headlights don't work, either manually turning the switch on, or leaving the setting on auto. They just stay on daytime running lights, but don't switch to regular low beam. The parking lights and dash lights work, and the High Beams work too.

Does this sound like a problem with the headlight switch? Or am I looking at a more involved job with the multifunction switch? The DRL's are sufficient for city driving at night, but I'm eventually going to have to hit the highway soon.

Does it have the fancy "2 in 1" bulbs? Where the Hi and Lo beams are one bulb?

On my 88 Dodge Aries I had that problem.....passenger hi and lo beam worked, driver side only the HI BEAM worked, lo beam didn't....lol.

I was like oh great, electrical problem. Turned out, I replaced the bulb and it fixed the problem, now hi and low beams on both are back functional.

Just because they may be "one unit" doesn't mean if one works they should both work I guess....? hehe.

Usually, it's the switch.

Search for one and see how quickly the part comes up.

If you have a flawed design, you can install an aux relay system with the new switch.

The 94 has a combined/dual filement in the bulb.That means that while they may work one way,they may still have part of the bulb burned out.Take the bulbs out,you should be able to see if the filements are ok.If they are ok,it may be the switch but check the bulbs first.

Last edited:
Oilnerd: Headlight relays are integral to the switch it seems. No relays for headlights in power distribution box. My friend has loaned me his Taurus service manual, and i'm going to study the diagrams tomorrow.

ahoier: 9007 bulbs are the fancy two filament bulb. There is no power getting to the low beam wires at the headlight sockets. Bulbs are fine I have swapped one with a good working one and there is no damaged filaments.

Audi Junkie: Got a new headlight switch tonight, made absolutely no difference. Wiring diagrams show that the lights go through the multifunction switch in the steering column. Will be looking at that tomorrow.

motorguy222: Filaments are ok. There is no power getting to the low beam wire at the headlamp sockets.

The wiring diagrams point the multifunction switch as the next part of the circuit from the headlamp switch. I think that will be the issue, because it seems like someone wired aftermarket fog lamps at one time to the same circuit, and I bet it pulled too much current through the switch. When I get the headlamps working, i'm going to measure the draw with the fogs on. If they are excessive, they are getting their own relay and circuit independent of the headlamps.

Look for a bad ground. I had a bad ground on a f150 last year and it affected the lights, radio, and wipers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechjames
Alright, it was the multi-function switch. Now all my beams and fog lights are working!

Thanks for the update. It's always nice to know final cure for problems that crop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back