NO DPF nor EGR!!!!!!

My Fortuner pulls cold air from inside the front fender to the air box. I suspect it's similar for the LC200. So far, my intake and air box are pretty clean, and we have fine dust in the air here in Karachi as well. The filter gets shaken or blown out at every oil change (5000km).

Originally Posted by Usman
My Fortuner pulls cold air from inside the front fender to the air box. I suspect it's similar for the LC200. So far, my intake and air box are pretty clean, and we have fine dust in the air here in Karachi as well. The filter gets shaken or blown out at every oil change (5000km).

shaking out a filter can get dust onto the clean side and blowing out a filter can make bigger holes in the media than what it originally had. even opening/closing the airbox can comprimise the filter seal.

get a 'filterminder' and use it to decide when to change, and during the interim period just leave it alone.

Some years ago (I think it was a link in BITOG), I read an engineering paper that saw large elevation in wear metals in trucks' engine oil when the air filters were blasted with compressed air and reused at oil change time. Wear metals decreased to normal when air filters were replaced. Apparently very small holes in the filter media were created with this compressed air "cleaning" which by the way can't remove dust already embedded in the medium. I must admit I am guilty of this practice in the past but now I don't even open the air cleaner box till I'm ready with a new filter in hand.

Originally Posted by berniedd
Some years ago (I think it was a link in BITOG), I read an engineering paper that saw large elevation in wear metals in trucks' engine oil when the air filters were blasted with compressed air and reused at oil change time. Wear metals decreased to normal when air filters were replaced. Apparently very small holes in the filter media were created with this compressed air "cleaning" which by the way can't remove dust already embedded in the medium. I must admit I am guilty of this practice in the past but now I don't even open the air cleaner box till I'm ready with a new filter in hand.

^yes - this!

Thanks for the info guys...very useful. I'll start following your guys' leads.

Just a thought...rather than compressed air, why couldn't we just use a vacuum cleaner to clean the filter on the inlet side? Presumably this would be much safer than high pressure compressed air... genuinely asking.

With the amount of dust in the air here in Karachi, I'll probably be changing the filter every 10,000km, if not sooner if there is no safe way to clean it for the interim period of time.

Last edited:
Back