No Compass, What the heck ??!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose a compass makes sense in the US, where directions are often including northbound/southbound etc... But that is not typically used in Europe so compass makes little sense and that's probably why a VW isn't guaranteed to have one.

Do you have nav? When they made my generation of the Maxima all came with compass mirrors, but if you had the nav system option they deleted the compass mirror and just put in a standard Homelink mirror. Maybe VW does the same?

In the late 90s i mounted one of those big magnetic compasses on my dash. maybe “airguide” brand. It looked good up there, so i pulled the little AA battery-powered light bulb out and mounted a small 12v bulb, in some sort of blue-green sleeve, and pressed that in its place. Back when there was no gps and we‘d study maps for roadways and orientation, i quickly found that i really liked having the compass, especially if i was only a little lost. i forgot all about that. one thing i really liked about it was the 4 or 8 point compass 2-digit display left me wanting for a little more resolution. Airguide ftw.

This thread made me haul my carcass out to the garage to see if my GTI has a compass. There it was, plain as day, in the mirror. So that’s what those letters are, directions? I’m now glad I didn’t get a Passat, wishing for letters in the mirror.

Fun compass fact: The compass in the MD-80 was installed behind the co-pilots head, requiring the use of tiny mirrors to read the compass. Also, if you looked at it dead-on, the writing would be backwards, so as to look correct in the mirrors.

Fun compass fact: The compass in the MD-80 was installed behind the co-pilots head, requiring the use of tiny mirrors to read the compass. Also, if you looked at it dead-on, the writing would be backwards, so as to look correct in the mirrors.
Yep, including the previous DC-9 and later MD-90 and 717.

I always thought, at the worst possible time in a complete navigation failure you'd have to position those miniscule little mirrors to read the last functioning gauge located behind the FO's head (at night!) to save everybody's life. I was hardly able to read it on a good day in the hangar, imagine trying to do so in bad weather with the plane bouncing around.

I like them too
Called the police on a reckless drunk I followed for over 20 miles ( very drunk)
Every turn because of the compass on the dash I was able to relay to the dispatcher S on Emery street now heading west on Montgomery etc.
Made it easy- was in the car by myself.
They got him before he killed somebody.

Who needs a compass??? They weren't in cars decades ago and we survived. Hopefully, it came with a paper roadma
A small car really has no need of a compass. Now if you go back 40-50 years to the land yachts like the El Dorado or the Grand Fury to name a couple, then a compass should have been standard equipment. Gyro or magnetic?

🧭

A compass? Paper map? Really paper maps are antiquated and unreliable. Your phone and navigation both have a compass. Next we'll her people complaining that VW failed to include a sextant like they had back in the day because the past is always better than the present and technology is evil. Sheesh

When I was a kid I used to mock the senior citizens in their Buicks that had compasses mounted on their dashboards. I thought to myself, what do they think they are piloting, a boat ?
Then my 2004 Infiniti G35 had a compass built into the dash. And I came to appreciate it as the car didn't have Nav and my phone didn't either.
My 2009 Nissan 370Z did not have a compass and I missed it. I guess it was part of the Nav option which I did not have. My Mazda CX 5 has a compass in the instrument cluster and I like it.
My first car with a built-in compass was the '03 Park Avenue. I wouldn't have paid extra for it had I ordered the car myself -- but I came to enjoy having the readout, which kept me from making wrong turns more than once on road trips. The Regal and the BMW 328i had one as well, and so does the LaCrosse. I'd miss it now. There are times you just want to glance down or over, and know you're going north or northeast, without having to fiddle with a phone or the car's prickly navigation system.

Back