No CD Player !!!

I just bought a 2017 Jeep Cherokee and it has no CD player. The salesman told me the new Dodge trucks do not have them.
Why the heck are they up to and what am I supposed to do with my huge box of CD's

Originally Posted by rrretiree7
I just bought a 2017 Jeep Cherokee and it has no CD player. The salesman told me the new Dodge trucks do not have them.
Why the heck are they up to and what am I supposed to do with my huge box of CD's

Load your CD collection onto a thumb drive, and plug that into a usb port in the car.

Originally Posted by 02SE

Load your CD collection onto a thumb drive, and plug that into a usb port in the car.

This however I am technical and found process to be clunky along with interface.

It was an optional extra that ate up about half of the center console. I'd rip them to an old phone and stream it via Bluetooth or use the aux jack.

The Uconnect 8.4" and the uber-base radio in my Ram are both pretty painless to use, I have no experience with the smaller color LCD screens though.

lol.gif

It's a bigger problem with compact cassettes and records.
wink.gif

CD's are easy. Put them in your computer and there is a lot of software out there to convert them into mp3 files. You can then save them into a USB flash drive. If you don't have a CD drive in your computer, you can buy an external USB CD drive. I guess technically that USB CD drive could even plug into your car's USB port but why bother if you can convert the CD's into mp3 files?

I didn't think it was a great idea to delete the CD players from new cars. However, I have adapted and put all of my CDs on thumb drives. That large CD case has been replaced by two memory sticks.

I have a CD player in my Fusion and Escape. Never used either of them. I don't know if the Explorer has one or not. Never bothered to check and it wouldn't have changed my decision to purchase. I must say, with all these music streaming services, smart phones, bluetooth and USB availability in cars, 4G speed and the reintroduction of unlimited data, CDs are becoming less and less popular. I was younger when audio cassettes were phased out but I image that this is probably how it was done and I'm sure there were people that did not like the change. At least it is easier to rip CDs and upload them to a phone or thumb drive.

definitely bites not having a cd player.. i leased a 2016 scion ia and this also had no cd player. off topic but that was the worst infotainment system ever.. didn't even have a physical on/off button either mute or drop the volume to 0. as mentioned if you have access to load your cds onto a usb drive thats the best and simplest solution.

I've been out shopping new cars and most do not have a CD player. Or NAV system either. They say "connect your Android"....and my wife found out her phone is too old for that!
shocked2.gif

My old MAZDA had a 6 disk CD player which was great, My 2014 MAZDA has a dumbed down single disk CD player. I was looking a new Honda, Acura and MAZDAs and they have no CD players. I really don't like that. Ed

Originally Posted by madRiver

This however I am technical and found process to be clunky along with interface.

It does not need to be.
Check this, https://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-cd-ripper.htm, almost all options are good. Exact Audio Copy is the best but it needs a lot of work to set up. I recommend Fre:ac, very easy to use. Stick your CD in, fire up fre:ac, usually it automatically downloads data from CDDB servers, select the quality you want, and rip the CD.

one of the reasons, XM Radio subscription or Apple Music subscription

CDs are on the way out as same as Navigation services in the cars

personally, I use YT to download all of my CDs and I go from there

One day we're all going to turn into one huge cellphone! The world will be inhabited by cellphones walking around
laugh.gif

I tried to put "all" my music onto a thumbdrive and found it annoying to surf around. It could be that my vehicles have awful interfaces, with like half-inch tall text--but TBH the radio is not in line of sight and it'll never be "easy" to surf around various albums while moving. Thumbdrives may well be the way to go but I'd use multiple ones, that way you could have various genres and make it easier to find what you want--or alternatively, if you can't find the exact album you want, at least the rest of the drive is hopefully the vibe you wanted.

Does it have an 8-Track or Cassette?

Originally Posted by Donald

Does it have an 8-Track or Cassette?

If you get two spare wheels, maybe you can rig up a reel-to-reel.
smile.gif

Back