No CD Player !!!

Great info guys. Thanks.
11.gif

Originally Posted by supton
I tried to put "all" my music onto a thumbdrive and found it annoying to surf around. It could be that my vehicles have awful interfaces, with like half-inch tall text--but TBH the radio is not in line of sight and it'll never be "easy" to surf around various albums while moving. Thumbdrives may well be the way to go but I'd use multiple ones, that way you could have various genres and make it easier to find what you want--or alternatively, if you can't find the exact album you want, at least the rest of the drive is hopefully the vibe you wanted.

Also: if you put the music onto your phone (or an old phone with no service, or even an iPod--are those still around?) you could always leave it plugged in, but could pick the the thing up and put right into your line of sight, so that you could scroll while keeping your eyes really close to the road. It might not be the most ideal either, but it might work well enough.

I tried to put "all" my music onto a thumbdrive and found it annoying to surf around. It could be that my vehicles have awful interfaces, with like half-inch tall text--but TBH the radio is not in line of sight and it'll never be "easy" to surf around various albums while moving. Thumbdrives may well be the way to go but I'd use multiple ones, that way you could have various genres and make it easier to find what you want--or alternatively, if you can't find the exact album you want, at least the rest of the drive is hopefully the vibe you wanted.

Also: if you put the music onto your phone (or an old phone with no service, or even an iPod--are those still around?) you could always leave it plugged in, but could pick the the thing up and put right into your line of sight, so that you could scroll while keeping your eyes really close to the road. It might not be the most ideal either, but it might work well enough.

In wife's Q5, you can see the list of folders/songs on your thumbdrive/sd card directly in the dashboard (between tacho and speedo). I think my Charger can show it there too, but I don't remember.

As far as looking for specific genre, as long as your music files are tagged correctly, some car entertainment systems allow you to search/filter by genre, while still keeping your whole library on the same drive.

My BMW doesn't have any of this, but it does have a CD player. Moral of the story: the OP should buy a 20-year-old BMW.
smile.gif

OP may also be surprised that computers have basically dropped these as a feature too...

The expectation is that you have already converted to digital - simply because most people have. I ripped all my discs to digital many years ago and never looked back. Everything fits on one USB drive now.

Historically, I had multiple cars with either no CD player or they had a cassette tape player. I never used the cassette tap feature, other than to plug in an adaptor for a protable CD player...

Times change.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
It was an optional extra that ate up about half of the center console. I'd rip them to an old phone and stream it via Bluetooth or use the aux jack.

The Uconnect 8.4" and the uber-base radio in my Ram are both pretty painless to use, I have no experience with the smaller color LCD screens though.

This.

It was, and is, an option. It hasn't been eliminated; you can still get it, but you have to order the vehicle with it. I had it on my 2016 SRT and as Skippy noted, it ate up most of the centre console and I never used the bloody thing, so I intentionally omitted it from my 2020.

After I read OP's post, I went to my Edge to see if it had a CD slot. And it does. Once things went to Bluetooth, I don't think I've used a CD. Once I moved what songs I wanted from my CD collection (1500) to digital, everything became easier.

Cars stopped having cassette players and we adapted. This is no different.

Rip to FLAC and load into your phone. Pair with the cat and you have your music available. On iPhone, download VLC player, on Android most native music players will play FLAC files.

Originally Posted by rrretiree7
I just bought a 2017 Jeep Cherokee and it has no CD player. The salesman told me the new Dodge trucks do not have them.
Why the heck are they up to and what am I supposed to do with my huge box of CD's

Compact Disc? That is 40 year old technology, Grampa !

Do you have any Beatles on 78's ? ( actually, I think there were some released, IIRC)

Funny you mentioned this, I decide I was going to the town park and listen to a CD in my newish car.

Brought the CD, but there was no CD loading Slot!

I looked closer and there was a little slot under the display; I read the radio manual and its a SD (memory) card slot !

So when I went home later, I "relearned" how to rip a couple tunes to WMA lossless. Then I dug around for and old SD card,
and I found one in the old, broken Cannon Rebel camera - yipee!

I m going to try again to play this "chip" this afternoon.

Watch - the VW radio wont play WMA lossless files. Stay Tuned..

You are supposed to use that portable computer gadget they call a Phone.

You can connect it though USB ( in the glove box or the centerconsole)
or you can use Bluetooth - but only with codecs like apt-x or apt-X HD is good enough for music.
My Stupid car doesn't have the correct chipset - its only good for telephony - and you know how bad THAT is these days..

But there is hope so you dont have to copy your whole collection; Most music is on youtube for free or ?? host

Just search for what you want to hear, sort through the duds and play the gems.

stream that to you radio head.

-Ken

I've got CD players in all of the fleet, except for the Ranger which still has a cassette player.

Honestly, with XM in the Sonata and Cobalt, I can't remember when I've used the CD player. The Dakota doesn't have XM so when I replaced the stock radio, a CD player was a must. This happened 4 years ago and I was already having a hard time finding a replacement with a CD player.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Watch - the VW radio wont play WMA lossless files. Stay Tuned..

One would have to work really hard to find a more obscure audio format these days.
smile.gif
You're better off sticking with something non-proprietary such as MP3.

With that said, here is the info I found in a 2019 Jetta OM:

Requirements for playing audio files

Applies to SD memory cards1) and USB storage devices in the FAT16, FAT32, and exFAT file systems.

MP3 files (.mp3) with bit rates of 32 to 320 kbit/s or variable bit rate.

WMA files (.wma) to 9.2 mono/stereo without copy protection.

Playlists in the M3U, PLS, ASX, and WPL formats.

Playlists no larger than 20 KB and with no more than 1,000 entries.

File name and paths no longer than 256 characters.

Alas, it's not clear if this includes WMA lossless. Only one way to find out.

Also, I'm sure VW has different audio/entertainment options available, each with varying file support.

For example, for a 2018 Tiguan, the list of supported file formats is much longer according to this:
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...p=113003421&viewfull=1#post113003421

When I bought my current truck two years ago this month, the Dodge er Ram had no CD player. The Ford did and it sounds great. The base stereo with two door speakers and two mid/tweets on the dash sounds great.

Not saying this is why I chose the Ford, the predatory sales practices of the Ram dealer actually caused me to laugh in their face, they threw me out. Ever heard of a failure to lease fee? Low value trade in fee? I felt dirty when I walked er thrown out.

Yeah, haven you hear that music on CD enough time to " autoplay" it in your head.

Time to listen to some "new to you" stuff !

I Just ripped Stravinski's Le Sacre Du Printemps performed by Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal

to see if I could blow the system up with the killer percussion on this piece
smile.gif
:0
smile.gif

Lease car HiJinks you know !

I Just ripped Stravinski's Le Sacre Du Printemps performed by Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal

to see if I could blow the system up with the killer percussion on this piece
smile.gif
:0
smile.gif

Or the "Bass I love you" track which I used to blow up my home theater receiver.
smile.gif

That is the most hated, junk piece of music that I ever heard.

I cant believe you played that!

What ever happened to the intro of Also Sprac Zarathustra ?

Or the synthesizer ending to ELP's Lucky Man ?

That is the most hated, junk piece of music that I ever heard.

I cant believe you played that!

What ever happened to the intro of Also Sprac Zarathustra ?

Or the synthesizer ending to ELP's Lucky Man ?

OK, how about "Angel" by Massive Attack, or "Time" by Hans Zimmer then.
smile.gif

Convenience trumps sound quality these days. CDs will always provide the best SQ, but people today don't seem to care about that in their rides. It's all about compressed files now...

You want compressed, try listening to Sirius... That is the main reason I refuse to subscribe or use that service. The Audio quality is noticeably awful.

When it comes to CD's ripped at high quality versus the CD, to be blunt, I can't tell the difference when I'm driving down the road at 70 mph. My vehicle is a vehicle, not a concert hall...

Originally Posted by grampi
CDs will always provide the best SQ, but people today don't seem to care about that in their rides. It's all about compressed files now...

Just how much sound quality can you really discern with all the wind/road/tire/engine noise while driving?

Also, there are compressed but lossless formats out there (such as FLAC) that provide the exact same SQ as a CD.

Lastly, as much as some people brag about being able to tell the difference between CD and high bitrate MP3/AAC/WMA, most of those same people end up failing an A/B test when they take it, assuming all else is equal. Sometimes there is an audible difference caused by a different DAC being used in a CD player vs MP3 player, but that is separate from the whole lossless/lossy issue.

Take the test. If you can tell them apart, by all means, stick with lossless. No harm in doing so. For archival purposes, going lossless is definitely the right thing to do.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by grampi
CDs will always provide the best SQ, but people today don't seem to care about that in their rides. It's all about compressed files now...

Just how much sound quality can you really discern with all the wind/road/tire/engine noise while driving?

Also, there are compressed but lossless formats out there (such as FLAC) that provide the exact same SQ as a CD.

Lastly, as much as some people brag about being able to tell the difference between CD and high bitrate MP3/AAC/WMA, most of those same people end up failing an A/B test when they take it, assuming all else is equal. Sometimes there is an audible difference caused by a different DAC being used in a CD player vs MP3 player, but that is separate from the whole uncompressed/compressed issue.

Yep, I just stream in 320 and can't really tell. Now DD+ vs TrueHD in movies? Massive difference.

Back