Nitrogen filled tires - any real world experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna have to replace my tires within 5k mi. Most dealers are now offering nitrogen. Some throw it in with a set of tires, others charge for converting.

What are your experiences?

It seems like no-brainer for me since the tire dealer will include at no extra charge.

But what about my 2008 car with 15k miles? Is it worth paying $49 to fill them with nitrogen?

Not really...got plain old air in my new tires for our cars...neighbor had nitrogen, and we still had to fill our tires at the same time...kinda kills the benefit of nitrogen...

On paper, Nitrogen makes sense. But in practice...that's what I would like to know.

I kinda wondered if it was just the "next thing" for dealers to make a massive profit by creating a need that really isn't there.

If I got it free, I'd do it. I wouldn't pay to have it done, though. I check and adjust my tires often, so the supposed benefit of having tires stay inflated at a given psi a little longer isn't there for me.

Well, they say that nitrogen doesn't expand and contract like ordinary air does. So tread wear may benefit. Also, no H2O in the tire either.

Still, I'd like to hear from people who've had nitrogen in their tires for, say, 40,000 miles....

I would say no for $49. My Olds Achieva tires were filled with it for free when I bought new tires. They still lose the usual 1 lb. a month or so and I would attribute the 1-2 MPG improvement to the fact I was replacing 9 yr. old low mileage-but weathered tires with new low rolling resistance ones than anything else.

If you do decide to try it out, I would make sure your $49 includes the "lifetime" Nitrogen top-ups some shops offer.

Originally Posted By: moklock

If you do decide to try it out, I would make sure your $49 includes the "lifetime" Nitrogen top-ups some shops offer.

How about free rotation, too?
56.gif

I think either WM or Sam's offers somthing like that. Of course free lug and/or wheelcover damage may also be included.

I have all nitrogen in my tires for my 04 GTO/05 Mercedes/06 GT GX/08 Silverado.
They all ride smoother. I cannot explain it....even my wife (Mercedes) ask me if I put new tires on her car. She noticed the difference. So it is not in the mind. Makes sense really. Nitrogen is used in performance shock absorbers etc. as it compresses and releases differently then air/water mix.
I love it. I took an old Oxygen tank and the welding supply place in town fills it up for me with nitrogen for pennies. Got a cheap regulator and I'm in business.
Just be sure and totally deflate before refilling. I did it twice per tire to get all the moisture out.

Im calling [censored] on this whole nitrogen thing. Its just the latest and greatest scam of the tire industry. Its frustrating how easily people are fooled into paying for stuff.

Nitrogen tires are for racing and aviation. They serve no purpose in car tires.

You will never get more than 95% nitrogen inside a car tire.

Even if you had access to a TRUE 100% nitrogen machine (I doubt it, these are very rare and $$$) you would never get more than 95% nitrogen in your tires. Why? Because even when your tires have no psi, they still have atmospheric air pressure in them. So unless you fill your tires up inside a vacuum chamber, you will never get all the "regular" air out in the first place.

So, considering that regular air is already 80% nitrogen, and you will never be able to get more than 95% nitrogen in your tires, your paying how much money for 15% more nitrogen?

LOL.Have you ever used one of the evacuation machines? Do you realize how much water are in your tires? Call whoever or whatever you wish friend but you are babbling with not all the variables/info.
If you don't want it by all means don't use it. Dont be frustrated with us ignorant people will just go right along :)

Is the water going to eat my tires from the inside out? How did we get by before nitrogen?

Im not saying its BAD, Im saying don't get ripped off for it...you'll never see the benefits.

Originally Posted By: GrampsintheSand
Nitrogen is used in performance shock absorbers etc. as it compresses and releases differently then air/water mix.

Nitrogen is oft used in oil filled hydraulics to avoid "dieseling", not because of its magical spring ability.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
If you do a search in this web site, you'll find this subject has been discussed ad nauseum.

Night at the Nauseum 99?
wink.gif

I don't really care if it's been discussed before, I'll throw two cents at it.
My FIL has a tank of nitrogen and uses it to fill the tires in everything. Using it makes sense to me in this climate because if it's 80 at night and 105 during the day then using a gas which expands and contracts less would be beneficial for the life of the tire. If I fill to 42psi at 80 deg. and the next day use the tires on hot blacktop on a 105 deg. summer day and hit something in the road, I don't want a tire failure due to over inflation.

Or maybe there's no benefit at all, but I'll keep using it anyway.

Used nitrogen in our cars tyres for many years. I get them to throw it in free for tyre purchase and free tire fills for the life of the tyres. I hate checking tyre pressures and nitrogen fixes that. No brainer really

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back