Nissan vs. Kia

Nissan is a damaged brand, while Kia is an up and coming brand, that is still considered to not be on par with the best of the Japanese...who you got?

Kia. Had several over 15 years and never a problem. Nissan used to be on par with Honda and Toyota but since about 2005 they've been going down hill. I know 5 people who have Nissans and every one of them had problems before 60k miles, big things like transmissions. If you're going to keep it 2 - 3 years, then either Nissan or Kia will work. Any longer than that, get a Kia.

Four Kia's and a Hyundai. That's counting a Ford Festiva. No real problems. Been a bit afraid of Nissan since the Renault buy-in. Never owned a Nissan but I did own two Renault's R16 and a LeCar. Interesting memories but don't need such adventures in my old age.

That’s a hard choice. Have had bad luck with both and seen many problems with both. As long as it’s not new it should be ok for both of them. As long as it’s not got a CVT as well.

Owned several 80s Nissans when they were a slightly cheaper alternative to Honda and Toyota, don't have any interest now. I'd choose a KIA, no question there. Modern Nissans remind me of 90s Mitsubishi Galants, looking worn and tired when they are 3 years old.

Screenshot_20201108-145313_Chrome.jpg

I like the Micra, and I'd buy it if they sold it in the US

Nissan stuck with 4-speed automatics and relative simplicity longer than others, so they're more BITOG-friendly. The Versa used a 4-speed auto until a few years ago, and the Canada-only still uses a 4-speed auto, and Nissan still includes a dipstick and drain plug. (although they did go CVT earlier in their bigger cars, like the Sentra, Altima, Maxima, and their crossovers)

Hyundai/Kia went GDI quickly, but only started using CVT recently.

So, I'd take a Micra or Versa over a late-model Rio or Accent, but for anything else, Kia/Hyundai.

But Toyota is better than either :)

Quite a few Hyundai/Kia in my family.

I have a Santa Fe, Mom has a Soul, 2 sisters with a Santa Fe, sister with Elantra, nephew with Sonata. Plus several others that we have sold (Elantra, Sonata, Rondo).

2 Nissan in the family (my brother and his son both have and Altima, or at least I think the nephew still has it, he may have wrecked it).

I've never owned a Kia, but have had fine results with both Nissans (Titan and Juke, both purchased new) and the one Hyundai (Accent, also purchased new) I've owned.

Both brands are making big improvements (Kia over the last 10 years especially, Nissan is just now starting to right the ship).

An early transmission failure or early engine failure...hard to choose. I'd go the Hyundai/Kia route. More upscale design and at least you have a long warranty.

I'm on my second Nissan and I liked them both to the point of probably buying a third when my daughter gets her license in a year. I guess I should say I'm on my 4th, as I did help my son buy, and I maintained a 98 Altima.

The 12 Alitma I had, and the 16 Rouge I have, are outstanding. No problems at all outside of being a little weak at charging batteries if you short trip too much (Altima, not the Rouge). The CVT's are no problem, and deliver great mileage. Another Altima may be in the garage soon.

I was an American car snob, driving only the big 3, but the lack of longevity, and way too many parts change needs have pushed me to Nissan. I can't afford Toyota....

My oldest son and his wife have 2 Hyandai's. They seem to be falling apart too quickly for my taste.

I've owned Fords, Honda, Dodge, Mazda, VW, and now on the 3rd Nissan product. I never had any issues with the Nissan's and their build quality is not so different to the other Asian transplants. Nissan sources many of their components from the same vendors as Honda, Toyota, Subie, Mazda.

Don't get the hate, but I understand the prejudice against the French automotive design - they find a different way to do things that is....unique.

I don't see a ton of influence from the Renault in the Nissan product that I've owned so far.

I know Nissan gets a lot of hate here but the people I know people who own them have had good luck with them. A neighbor of mine had a 2003 or 2004 Murano bought new and had zero issues with it. It was traded at 98K miles. One of my friends just recently traded his 2013 Altima (bought new). It had 150k when traded and had no issues. The AC went out about 500 miles after the warranty expired but that was the only major repair it needed besides struts due to mileage. Another friend has 2014 or 2015 Rogue (bought new) and she loves it, hasn’t had any problems.

I've never owned a Kia proudct, but did own a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe from ~36k to about 80K. I liked it a lot. I also mostly like our Nissan products, but again, rarely keep them past 4yrs/70K miles or so.

Watch the busier, better car repair channels on youtube. They'll rag on Nissan, but also admit they rarely work on them. You don't see many kias or hyundais either. One thing I saw on one of the channels that was pretty cool was the OEM tech data and wiring diagrams for kia (or was it hyundai?) was impressively good.

Last edited:
Back