Nissan Profitable Again

Did I ever tell you guys about my 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 2.5 with the 5-speed manual gearbox? The first time I went to clean my windshield the fluid pump didn't work. The first time I went to blow my horn the horn didn't blow. At the 1.5 year mark the battery went dead with a bad cell and the paint quality on this thing looks like Billy Bob painted it with a paint can from Ollies Discount.

The washer pump was never hooked up from the factory - self diagnosed and repaired.
The horn, a dual tone design, was dead on arrival - self diagnosed and self replaced.
The battery was the cheapest junk they could buy to last the 12 month warranty. It lasted 1.5 years and was self replaced.
The fan clutch bearing died at the 2 year mark allowing the cooling fan to flop around. The noise triggered an investigation which allowed me to catch it before it caused any damage.

The transmission is by far the worst shifting manual gearbox I have ever owned... and I used to own a Ford 8N tractor. That speaks volumes!!
The fuel economy of this worthless 2.5 liter rattle trap engine is only 22 MPG highway. It doesn't make enough power to get out of its own way and it is actually dangerous in certain situations.

These things are JUNK. The customer service is JUNK. Nissan ownership is like playing Roulette - you pick your color and take your chances.
NEVER EVER AGAIN will I spend my hard earned money on this garbage.

Parking brakes out of adjustment from the factory.
Shock attachment hardware left loose from the factory.
Obviously not a single speck of inspection done during the dealership PDI.
Encyclopedia volumes of excuses from everyone from the shop janitor to the corporate CEO about how these were one-off errors and yet the internet if full of stories just like mine.

So be advised if you dare trust the propaganda of Jalopnik and their sales tactics. All that glitters is not gold.

View attachment 126019View attachment 126020View attachment 126021View attachment 126022
Definitely some pathetic QC in your case... honestly might also be related to where it was assembled as my Nissan was done in Japan and other than typical wear items needing replacement periodically, the car has been flawless for 9 yrs/98K.

Yikes

The fuel economy of this worthless 2.5 liter rattle trap engine is only 22 MPG highway. It doesn't make enough power to get out of its own way and it is actually dangerous in certain situations.

So it makes slightly less power and a slightly better economy than a 2002 Ranger 3.0 LOL.

Like the number of automobile years we get, the number of manufacturers is finite. It's easy remembering being burned.
Ergo the grudge thing.

In my case a coworker was selling a well cared for Nissan Sentra. I passed on it and bought my only new car ever, a '95 Subaru Legacy wagon.
I'll never know about the Sentra but I do know the Subaru was a big disappointment in the mpg department.
While the deal I got was OK, the Subaru was popular and the prices were healthy.
I was driving a bunch then.

After reading FowVay's post ('17 Frontier 2.5l manual), I am glad I passed on one for sale at a nearby 'garage lot'.

Did I ever tell you guys about my 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 2.5 with the 5-speed manual gearbox? The first time I went to clean my windshield the fluid pump didn't work. The first time I went to blow my horn the horn didn't blow. At the 1.5 year mark the battery went dead with a bad cell and the paint quality on this thing looks like Billy Bob painted it with a paint can from Ollies Discount.

The washer pump was never hooked up from the factory - self diagnosed and repaired.
The horn, a dual tone design, was dead on arrival - self diagnosed and self replaced.
The battery was the cheapest junk they could buy to last the 12 month warranty. It lasted 1.5 years and was self replaced.
The fan clutch bearing died at the 2 year mark allowing the cooling fan to flop around. The noise triggered an investigation which allowed me to catch it before it caused any damage.

The transmission is by far the worst shifting manual gearbox I have ever owned... and I used to own a Ford 8N tractor. That speaks volumes!!

These things are JUNK. The customer service is JUNK. Nissan ownership is like playing Roulette - you pick your color and take your chances.
NEVER EVER AGAIN will I spend my hard earned money on this garbage.

Parking brakes out of adjustment from the factory.
Shock attachment hardware left loose from the factory.
Obviously not a single speck of inspection done during the dealership PDI.
Encyclopedia volumes of excuses from everyone from the shop janitor to the corporate CEO about how these were one-off errors and yet the internet if full of stories just like mine.

So be advised if you dare trust the propaganda of Jalopnik and their sales tactics. All that glitters is not gold.

View attachment 126019View attachment 126020View attachment 126021View attachment 126022
My 2008 and 2011 have been absolutely flawless - made in TN. However at some point Ghosn got full control of the company, and proceeded to completely ruin it. He scaled up manufacturing capacity to sell 7M vehicles worldwide even though they had previosly never gotten close to 5M, and pushed the entire company to be "lean" - meaning you ended up with bad designs and bad quality like the above. Quality really started to puke acrsoss the board in 2014 - although they made plenty of crappy cars before that - they all went down hill around then.

Thank goodness for Nissan he is gone - complete criminal. If you didn't hear the entire story, he was arrested in Japan for embezzlement and in 2019 he paid US mercenaries to break him out and get him to Lebanon where he continues to hide out.

Anyway, I am a big Nissan fan but won't be buying any new ones for a while - if ever. In 2019 I bought my first new Toyota.

I've always liked Nissans (ownership listed below) and am happy to see them doing better.

• 2004 Infiniti i35: bought used, great car that rust eventually killed. Very fun to drive and reliable.
  • 2012 Titan: bought new, military move required sale. Was great.
  • 2015 Juke: bought new, family growth required sale. Was also great.

I'll take any financial report of any car company from the past 2 years with a grain of salt with what it means long term, it's not normal when people will pay full sticker price plus markup, sooner or later the car companies will be back at capacity actually having to compete with one another and offering incentives.
The markup stays with the dealer. The manufacturer gets the invoice less dealer incentives. That being said, I suspect invoice and MSRP sticker price is going up which will flow to the manufacturer.

The markup stays with the dealer. The manufacturer gets the invoice less dealer incentives. That being said, I suspect invoice and MSRP sticker price is going up which will flow to the manufacturer.
The markup stays with the dealer, but manufacturers are also offering less/no incentives.

Good to hear.

Ive been mostly extremely happy with a lifetime of Datsun/Nissan product.
Some of my best memories were made in /using them.

I wish them super well.

Did I ever tell you guys about my 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 2.5 with the 5-speed manual gearbox? ...

I remember when you posted about it when you first got the truck. It's shocking and I feel for you, but I don't believe these issues have ever been widespread for this particular Nissan vehicle. It would sour me from this brand.

I've known quite a few people with Frontiers, xterras, and pathfinders over the years and my father-in-law used to buy Frontiers as company/service vehicles. Never had any issues with them at all and they were beat to heck.

I currently own a 2022 Frontier and I'm liking it a lot. In fact, my whole immediate family fleet is Nissan at the moment. I certainly don't think they're the best vehicle out there, but they've been good to my family and they (used to be) quite a bargain bought slightly used.

Nissan has a lot going for them today. You can (order) a base model 2023 Versa with a 5MT, basic power and all the safety options for $16K. Rogues and Pathfinders are gone as soon as they roll off the truck.

When you can sell mediocre cars with high finance rates at MSRP or above you turn a profit. They prey on certain element of market .

My sons Hyundai is nice, but my old Rouge with 150k miles has held up much better
And our 2002 Camry that had 277k miles on it held up better interior wise than our 2010 Altima that we ditched with 200k miles. The Altima had fewer repairs, but then again, we had it for about 3/4s of the life of the Camry, so there were more miles and time to break things.
None of them were horrible. We didn't even lose the CVT in the Altima. Still hated the sensation, but hard to argue with the fuel economy.

My sister in law has a 2017 Rogue 7 passenger. It has been trouble free for them now with 175k miles since new.

There is nothing they like about it except reasonable fuel economy, reliable and can hold 2 extra passengers in a pinch for car pools they do.

They would consider another Nissan however went for RAV 4 PHEV instead due to incentives made pricing similar and the 40 MPG city and highway beyond 42 miles of pure EV range.

Back