Nissan Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Son changed oil and filter on his new 2017 Nissan Sentra Turbo. OEM filter and oil with just under 5k miles. Filter says Mahle Nissan. Internals looks similar to a Fram filter with fiber end caps. Clean filter with very little particles other than the metal filings from the hack saw. He replaced it with a Fram Ultra and Castrol Magnatec 5w/30

0 oil.

Those end caps look more robust than a lot of fiber caps. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a resonable OCI.

That being said, it is hard to beat the Ultra that replaced it!

Hmmm.... My 1994 Sentra filters were made in Japan. Heavy as [censored]. I guess they have upgraded...

This filter is fine. The pleats are good and straight, no tearing, and it has a good bypass. There is nothing wrong with this filter. Is it as efficient as a Fram Ultra, Royal Purple, Mobil 1 ?? No, of course not. But did it hold up well? Yes.
Very good job with the cut and post here OP.

Thin shell, cardboard ends, apparently poor efficiency (not much dirt in the media, a lot of dirt in the oil), distorted and possibly torn media, nitrile ADBV. Any aftermarket oil filter should be better.

Thanks again for the pics.

The last Nissan filter I cut open for my 12 Pathfinder has metal end caps and was made in Mexico. I purchased it about a year ago it looked better built then this one.

Looks very similar to the dealer installed OEM Made in China filter I posted in 2010, below. It was then labeled 65FOC, no id for maker on can, but one member said a company named Sakura made it. C for China then. And it was the shorty 6607/14612 equivalent.

If I owned a Nissan and was going to use OEM I'd prefer the construction of the newer Gonher made Nissan oem that includes a silicone adbv. Just me. But topic filter looks ok.

OEMs002.jpg

Can you show how tight the endcaps are to the can? IN 2015 in the NIssan CHINA filter, they were just a few thousandths of an inch gap betwwen the endcap and the can. I had oiling problems with the China made Nissan. Nissan doesn't use CHINA filters anymore AFAIK. I had ADBV problems with the Gonher (softening and staying flexed open using magnetic) When to the silver fram with no issues ( other than an odd resonance at 2K rpm which I cant really associate with the filter) The car appears to run good with the Mobil 1 (Champ Labs) M110 Ep filter.
The best on the Nissan QR25DE was the Honda pcx-004 for the S2000 "race" car, but at 14 bucks each I'm looking elsewhere. If I had that turbo Nissan id have the Filtec pcx-004 on there regardless of cost.

Last edited:
Mahle on the can gives some kind of assurance it's decently made. Nissan seems to be going through a number of vendors for oil filters. Could be the bean counters or it could be issues with the filters? They used to use Union Sangyo I believe, which were well made filters.

Wondering if using the 5w/30 Magnatec is a good choice for the engine/turbo? Manual specs SM, SN.

Castrol Magnatec 5w30 would a great oil to run in his vehicle. The UOAs posted from other turbo motors have looked really good.

Last edited:
I'd just add, while the 65FOC wouldn't have been my first choice, as can be seen in the pic the fiber endcaps were relatively thick, substantial. And, I like the design of the sealing areas at the centertube ends and endcap.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Thin shell, cardboard ends, apparently poor efficiency (not much dirt in the media, a lot of dirt in the oil), distorted and possibly torn media, nitrile ADBV. Any aftermarket oil filter should be better.

Thanks again for the pics.

While it is not the best looking filter I have ever seen, I think you are jumping to conclusions on a couple of your points.

I don't know how you can speculate on the efficiency, the filter is off a brand new car, so I wouldn't expect to see much of anything trapped in the media. The bit of oil in the can looks amber colored still, they few solid looking bits were still in the can, so the filter captured them.

The media distortion looks like it could have been caused while opening the can, since the filter can is dented, and it looks like the end cap has signs of impact or crushing.

Again - How 'bout the end caps not allowing proper volume flow over them. The oil has to flow around the endcap perimeter to get to the media - then out the centre tube to them main gallery drill. Ive never seen a filter constructed with just a few thousandths inch clearance. At heat and water and that clearance goes to near zero.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Again - How 'bout the end caps not allowing proper volume flow over them. The oil has to flow around the endcap perimeter to get to the media - then out the centre tube to them main gallery drill. Ive never seen a filter constructed with just a few thousandths inch clearance. At heat and water and that clearance goes to near zero.

Actually measure the end cap OD and can ID and calculate the areas of flow. You might be surprised the area equals the outlet pipe hole. I also have commented the oil has to go through a narrow opening on some filters due to end cap size. Not on a Toyota filter though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back