Night sights lost their brightness

I found out recently that night sights have a half-life and certain colors (like orange) age faster than green. I have a 5-year-old green set of Trijicon's on my Glock 22 and I was quite happy with them. This is my "bedside gun" I can see where the gun is in the dark because the sights glow so nicely. But they seemed to have gone dim in the past few months. Really dim. You can still see them in pitch black, but they weren't glowing anymore. Trijicon does have a warranty and paid to ship my slide to them. But they soon sent me an estimate for the repair, about half the cost of replacement for them to refresh the sights with new reactive material. I pressed a little about this dullness being normal after only 5 years. I was told it was normal.

I did something a little clever and called into their sales line. Sales said they hold brightness for a long time, close to 12 years and that maybe if I was in Law Enforcement or military I might consider a rebuild at 9 years. I was told that I shouldn't see a decline after 5 years. I explained that my slide was in for repair and I was being told the opposite by the repair team.

And, after that, they repaired them at no charge. I still don't have the slide back. It's about a two-month process start to finish.

This is usually where the company says 12 years and they actually are still usable bright years longer. I say this with nearly 48 year old eyes. Good idea sending the set in for an evaluation. My experience with Trijicon that is not normal. I had to send an almost new set back because the white outline of the front sight was just way off. Shoulda never left the factory.

I could be wrong as things change but IIRC Tru Glow, Glock, and a few others all use Trijicon tubes for illumination. Meprolite (Kimber) as far as I remember did not.

I'm not a RMA kinda guy on the majority of my pistols or shotguns. I've found the Truglow TFX Pro sights to be excellent on the range in bright sun or a dimly lit indoor range as well as at home in the dark at night clearing a room from a noise.

Tritium has a half life of 12.5 years, so you should be down to half brightness at that point. The tubes probably had a very slight leak. Happens sometimes I'd imagine. Especially since sitting on the slide of a gun probably isn't the most serene place for a tiny piece of glass to be sitting.

Good deal getting them fixed for free though. I swapped all of mine over a few years ago to the factory Glock night sights. Never looked into who made them, but they seem to be pretty functional. Haven't had a problem out of them and as I recall they were something like $50 installed. Granted, I have the luxury of being near Smryna and being able to run over there to get everything checked up by the factory.

Got my slide back and they are bright again! They did damage the cerakote a little but all in all. Worth it.

Back