NICE INFO on oil filters!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 PureOnes I bought for cheap off Amazon. My Vic will get one next change.
I do wish it had a base end bypass like the Motorcraft. You would think their high end filter would match the filter they make for Motorcraft on that side.

A base end bypass would be nice, but I think, if/when a filter goes into bypass there is a lot of pressure on the media and still oil flowing through it in the right direction. I'm not so sure much dirt if any will wash off the media. I don't worry too much about the bypass location as long as it works properly.

I know, I know, Toyotas with their OEM dome end bypass filters rarely make it to 100,000 miles...
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: river_rat
A base end bypass would be nice, but I think, if/when a filter goes into bypass there is a lot of pressure on the media and still oil flowing through it in the right direction. I'm not so sure much dirt if any will wash off the media. I don't worry too much about the bypass location as long as it works properly.

I know, I know, Toyotas with their OEM dome end bypass filters rarely make it to 100,000 miles...
banana2.gif

I agree Rob,,

but i think i would still like to see the base bypass IF i had to run one of these filters,i guess just the thought of possible dirt being washed off and into your engine would make me not sleep good.
LOL.gif

thats why i don't like running the stock Briggs filter on my lawn equipment. Thinking of using a WIX or RP with the base bypass next

I've cut open a lot of filters, and never once have I seen particles in the media. That's what allows me to feel safe using a dome end bypass. If there isn't anything there to be washed off and sent through the engine, then it's a non-issue.

Could be, but if I can get an American made filter by an American owned company with a thread end bypass for the same price, why buy a Purolator?

Note, run your finger down the used media and look at it. If it feels gritty, you don't want that grit in your engine.

I have a magnet on the dome end that should catch any of the ferrous particles before they make it through the bypass. Anything else that makes it through is likely soft enough to not do any damage.

Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
Filtering Efficiency: BELOW AVERAGE?

PureONE:

25u - 100%
20u - 99.9%
15u - 99.2%
10u - 92.8%
5u - 51.3%

Below average my big hairy butt!
39.gif
happy2.gif

I was wondering where this efficiency information came from? I've never seen it broken down that far. Was that something directly from Purolator on their PureONE?

Originally Posted By: daman
but i think i would still like to see the base bypass IF i had to run one of these filters

Oh ya, Dan, I prefer base bypass too, but if the filter is good in other ways, I pretty much overlook the bypass location. It's just not that high in my own priorities.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: daman
but i think i would still like to see the base bypass IF i had to run one of these filters

Oh ya, Dan, I prefer base bypass too, but if the filter is good in other ways, I pretty much overlook the bypass location. It's just not that high in my own priorities.

cheers3.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Why is there an issue with the string or the cardboard endcaps? Aren't they just there to keep the media from unraveling during assembly?

I have no problem at all with the string,don't think it needs to be there but have no problems with it, now the paper end caps from FRAM-O-death, yea houston we have a problem!!!

Yes sir! I emailed Purolater ([email protected]) and simply asked them for it on the PureONE. I asked because of their posting a higher efficiency rating (99.9%) on their boxes with the new coatings. I am now waiting for their response to the same thing in beta ratings. Let ya know.

Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
Yes sir! I emailed Purolater ([email protected]) and simply asked them for it on the PureONE. I asked because of their posting a higher efficiency rating (99.9%) on their boxes with the new coatings. I am now waiting for their response to the same thing in beta ratings. Let ya know.

What they gave you is essentially the "Beta Ratios", but in more simple terms (ie, % effective vs. micron size).

I emailed Katrina last week asking for Beta Ratios, and also was pointing out that Purolator's efficiency notes on their website and boxes needs some "fixing". Haven't heard back a word yet.

The info I got from her was dated 25 Jun 09. As I said, it was in response to their upgraded media. I too emailed her asking for the beta data, and, I too am waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back