NGK Spark Plugs Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the course of the last 6 or so years and 120k miles, I have changed my Spark plugs a total of 7 times, every 20k miles on average.

A Few months back I had 1 coil go bad in my truck, and while trying to figure out WHY my truck was idling bad and around 55-60 mph my truck was sputtering and rattling with horrid noises going on under the hood. I changed the Spark Plugs, Air Filter, PCV Valve System, Oil, Spark Plug wires, and every thing else before I broke down and took it into my Mums Mechanic.

It turned out to be the Coil Pack...

At the time, I wasent all that interested in looking up linecodes/product numbers on Automotive stores websites, and so I went into Autozone and got spark plugs (Autolite Double Platinum). The clerk there told me that they burn hotter which = better MPG gas wise, and are the best on the market. Up until this point, my truck always used Motorcraft Platinum and/or Bosch Platinum Plugs all swapped by a mechanic and all cheaper than these Autolites, so I was all like "What the hey, They seem to be better Plugs!"

So after tinkering with the plugs, I switched them out myself, still didnt work, regardless, after the Coil pack change my truck still didnt seem to be itself, but I lived with it for 6000 miles, before today, while changing my oil, I decided to change the plugs too.

The girlfriend is into Rally Car racing and in her Focus she put NGK Spark Plugs, thats where I heard of these certain plugs.

Anyway, My truck now has the touch of it being new, a helluva lot touchier gas pedal, and my gas Mileage has jumped 2mpg, between that and going to a 5w30 from a 10w30. It runs roughly as it did when the Bosch plugs were in there, and better than the OEM Motorcraft ones and A LOT better than the autolites.

I might get some [censored] from this, but like Fram Oil Filters, Autolite plugs, owned by the same company, are overpriced and not worth their extra cost, I am just talking about my experience, some of your cars may run good on Autolite plugs, but everyone out there thinking or needing to change their plugs soon, try the NGK Lineup, AAP or AZ may tell you that theyre for "Imports Only" but snap back at them and say "What car these days ISNT Imported?" I took the product number in there, and they sold em to me.

I will follow up every 5000 miles as I will check the plugs with each oil change, the condition of the plugs ETC.

I paid 1.99 a plug, for V-Power Plugs, a better plug both performence wise and build wise to me versus the 5 dollar and change Autolite D Platinum!

I have had decent luck with plain Autolites,especially in an old tractor.They last where Champions foul easily.For some reason,Autolite platinums dont seem as foul resistant as their conventional ones,at least in my Ford.I run NGK Iridiums in my car,and they are great plugs.

Autolite platinum plugs of the 80's were okay/acceptable for around 30-40k miles, but NGK plugs are much better lately for most American and Asian engines.

Bosch plugs are good for European engines, I tried NGK plugs in E430 and it didn't lasted very long, I had to go back to Bosch.

I run nothing but NGK's in my three mopeds and they love them!
smile.gif

Autolite Double Plats AA104PP run for 100k in Ford 4.6L v8 with no hick-up. Nothing against NGK, Denso - I successfully use them as well. AA can be had for close to zero price, if you watch incentives on them. Denso has the narrowest variation when it comes to electrical parameters, the most stable plug in my experience.

NGK and Denso are great plugs. NGK is reported to make all the AC Delco plugs now as well.

I try to avoid autolites in anything but old Fords.

Your 2.3 will run its best on NGK plugs. The Motorcraft replacements for that engine should be Japan made plugs, like the NGK's. Basically reboxed plugs with the MC part number on them.

Autolites in most traditional Ford engines are very similar if not exactly the same as MC plugs.

When I bought my truck the local ford dealer had a yearly thing a few oil changes and plug/filters replaced every so many miles etc, so they were always changed, just gone with it, rather be safe than sorry lol

Regardless, the AAP guy told me "NGK plugs are for Japanese/Asian Imports ONLY not for my use"

my comeback to shut him up? "Well okay then I guess my MAZDA engine is different than every other MAZDA engine?"

Originally Posted By: Chadwilliam1
Why are you changing your plugs so often?

+1 Why do you change your plugs so much? Obviously with the very good performance of the NGK's you reported, all those other spark plug changes didn't seem to matter...correct?

I am not bashing, I just was wondering your reasoning behind the change outs.

Thanks

I have used a few sets of Autolites and got great service from them. I put a set of Autolite Iridium in my 2009 Dodge Hemi.32 to be exact. I priced NGk and Denso. Then I called the manufactures and talk to their tech line. I found that in construction not a hairs difference in how and what they are made of between the three. Then there was price. Best price by far was Autolites. Then with a $2.00 per plug rebate Autolites blew the others out of the water. Thy also come with a 5 year warranty regardless of mileage. So far my truck runs as good as with NGK but I don't have to change every 30k again.. I can run these Iridium till 100k put onthem. That will but my truck at he 130k mark. They came factory in my 2010 Mercury Marquis. I've three Marquis I ran 100k each before changing the Autolights they came with no issues. Put another set back and kept driving. I have been verr satified with price and perfirmance from using Autolight sparkplugs.

Last edited:
I've heard some plugs are just "better" in some applications than others....reading the Mopar forums,. lotta people say my 2.2L will "eat" Platinum, Dbl. Plat, and Iridium plugs in 20k......but I don't think so.....I'm considering trying them. If they do, eh, what the [censored], lesson learned :p

I just like the idea of changing them once every 50k+ (platinums), rather than once every 20k (coppers...lol)

I had an NGK BR6K plug shear off in the cylinder head of my car last year. Happened while using a Craftsman Microtork wrench set to 15 lbft, Cylinder head was cool at the time.

Thought it was a fluke until I read about others having the same problem. Went back to Champion Copper plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back