NGK Iridium plugs?? Good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Denso and NGK are
thumbsup2.gif
imo

Champion coppers in the Jeeps @30K
NGK/Denso iridiums in the Camry @100K

I had an old beater of a 2 cycle trail bike that we ran mixed gas and oil and would foul a plug in about a day of use.

I put an iridium plug in it and it never fouled. Ran that plug a couple of years and it was still in the engine when I got rid of it.

Iridium plugs are great.

Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
In light of another thread about Champion plugs; would like to hear opinions on NGK Iridium plugs?

Excellent, like the majority of their products. NGK has two different lines of Iridiums though.

I ran NGK Iridium IX's in my 01 toyota tundra v8. It is not a long life spark plug. I ran it for 40,000mi until I noticed ground electrode erosion so I had to change them out. They are not a double element spark plug like the Laser Iridiums.

New plugs are Denso TT's. Apparently these are a "budget" double element spark plug. 1.1mm center electrode and titanium plated ground eletrode.

Last edited:
I've had great luck w/ them and Denso's on my old cars over the years. Quality fine wire plugs, a quality wire set and appropriate Bosch Red or Blue coil is my 'go to' setup on antique toys. Add a Pertronix depending on how original I'm staying.
w&w

Denso Iridium are the best you can get, IMO. They have the sharpest tip on the market at just 0.4mm. NGK and Bosch don't have anything that tiny.

Only downside to the tip being that small is that they warn you to replace every 30k. I've run them in my old S4 and now my new one.

Still, Bosch and NGK plugs are fine. Unless you have a very high-output motor I suspect you won't notice much of a difference.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Well, IMHO you can't buy a much better plug than NGK and their iridium ones are fine.

Denso, and Bosch are equally good or better.

Bosch are not better than NGK which are OEM to many manufacturers. They were OEM on my Saturn and my Nissans. Given the choice between NGK and Botch, I would take the NGK's all day long.

I have never understood why people bad-mouth a given plug company. They all perform the same, assuming you get the same heat range and gap properly.

In fact, NGK and Bosch had a licensing agreement for a long time.

Don't understand why champion would be considered bad, anyone over 40 knows thats all we used for decades. All it takes is one bad part and the whole brand name gets bashed. In the example of Bosch, I can tell you the o2 sensors may look fine, but crazy things happen to the ECU's ability to calculate fuel trim. So people write "never use Bosch", and that turns into a brand thing. Even though the other products are fine. Another example is an oil filter manufacturer which..I will stop here..
grin2.gif

Quote:
In the example of Bosch, I can tell you the o2 sensors may look fine,

Its the universals that seem to cause the most grief. Their OEM ones are very good. I agree in General Bosch makes good stuff.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Don't understand why champion would be considered bad, anyone over 40 knows thats all we used for decades. All it takes is one bad part and the whole brand name gets bashed. In the example of Bosch, I can tell you the o2 sensors may look fine, but crazy things happen to the ECU's ability to calculate fuel trim. So people write "never use Bosch", and that turns into a brand thing. Even though the other products are fine. Another example is an oil filter manufacturer which..I will stop here..
grin2.gif

It's like hard drives. One Western Digital fails and the whole brand is avoided. It's pretty silly how people think. Hard drives are all very similar in performance and reliability with a difference of a few percent in speed.

Except for the Hitachi DeskStar (DeathStar), they're horrible drives :p

Originally Posted By: dparm
Denso Iridium are the best you can get, IMO. They have the sharpest tip on the market at just 0.4mm. NGK and Bosch don't have anything that tiny.

Only downside to the tip being that small is that they warn you to replace every 30k. I've run them in my old S4 and now my new one.

IF it weren't a climbing Everest type of endeavor to change the plugs in my car, I would also use these.

But since I need to MAXIMIZE the plug change interval (to save my arms, hands, and MIND), I use the thicker center electroded NGK Laser Iridiums (or the same plug just re-branded AC Delco Iridium).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back