Newish DIY with Hoses question

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my cars a 2008 Nissan Versa is due for a coolant flush/exchange. I get that part and it's fairly easy.

I am starting to branch out (Doing my own brakes, ATF etc) and want to replace my own hoses.

So. I see the 2 large hoses and I hear there are a couple of smaller ones. Where do I get this? I can't find any Nissan Versa Specific Hoses. Is it something I take off and take to the store and say I need this size, and this one etc? It's ok to laugh in reply
smile.gif

Only 4 years old? Hoses are likely OK...if they're squishy, cracked, bulging, etc. then I would replace them.

The common hoses (radiator upper/lower) are easy to get, auto parts store, dealer where ever... The less common are the heater hoses, sometimes, you can get away with generic bulk hose, sometimes, if they're complex and molded (too tight a turn for bulk hose to make), you'll need to go dealer...

Location? I would pay for and download your factory service manual...a wealth of information...

Last edited:
You couldn't find any Versa-specific hoses? You didn't look very hard. If you go to any auto parts website, you can easily look up hoses for your car. Or, go to a parts store and have the counter guy look them up for you. They're molded to a certain shape and are car-specific. The smaller hoses are for the heater core. There may also be some small bypass hoses too. It's not really necessary to replace all of them. Just replace the ones that are cracked/leaking and maybe some of the "easy to get to/while you already have it taken apart" hoses.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

heres the upper and lower radiator hoses..just type in your year make and model...

heres some at advance

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/...chedFrom=header

in general the radiator hoses are specific for the vehicle as they are bent to clear obstructions..the small hoses in newer vehicle are generally the same. go to whatever parts store you normally shop at, give them your car info and they can set you up. If you're planning on doing your own maintenance, its been my experience that for expensive stuff, rockauto is defenitely worse price comparison to the big three.

Hoses are a good start to learn DIY work, but definitely not needed for quite a while on an '08. Save them for a later date as has been mentioned.

I've gotten hoses from napa that have the "Z" molded in but one is supposed to cut part of the ends off the "Z" to fit their vehicle. This lets them stock fewer part #s.

I have some nearly 20 year old hoses in service that look great. Aftermarket hoses are NOT nearly as well made as OE, IMO. My only hose problems have been from oil getting on them; they do not like that and swell and get gooey and give plenty of warning.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Hoses are a good start to learn DIY work, but definitely not needed for quite a while on an '08. Save them for a later date as has been mentioned.

Check em out but like said I betcha they are all good for many miles and years longer.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Only 4 years old? Hoses are likely OK...if they're squishy, cracked, bulging, etc. then I would replace them.

The common hoses (radiator upper/lower) are easy to get, auto parts store, dealer where ever... The less common are the heater hoses, sometimes, you can get away with generic bulk hose, sometimes, if they're complex and molded (too tight a turn for bulk hose to make), you'll need to go dealer...

Location? I would pay for and download your factory service manual...a wealth of information...

Exactly. Why do you want to change the hoses? I have never had to on any vehicle I've cared for that has been under my care (or I've been the go-to guy for advice on maintenance) since new. Many vehicles over 7 years and over 200,000 miles, and hoses still looked good.

When you replace when there is no issue, you risk replacing with an inferior grade than OE, meaning shortened life, not to mention every clamp/connection is a potential point for leaks. Add on top of that the time and cost factor.

So unless they are damaged or have been exposed to contaminants, I say leave them. Check them as part of your routine maintenance.

The hoses on our toyota camry lasted 14 years. The throttle body hose started leaking from deterioration so we opted to replace them all. The radiator hoses looked fine but we replaced those as well.

The radiator will probably go before the hoses do. I believe i replaced the camry radiator at something like 180k. The plastic side tanks rot from repeated heating cycles and crack.

Yeah, don't bother replacing the hoses.

I just replaced a hose on my 1999 Nissan Frontier. It was actually still OK, but it was starting to get a little soft.

I just went out and checked everything on my 2002 Ford Taurus with 186,000 miles (it just rolled over).

All the coolant hoses and other rubber materials under the hood look peachy keen.

So, 10 years and 186,000 miles with a relatively good number of coolant flushes periodically through that time period.

Now that I think about it I'm not sure I did a coolant flush within the first 90,000 miles.
That was a LONG time before I was a BITOG'er.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back