Newbie Intro and Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, all - Just a newbie saying hello. Been lurking for a bit. I have a '98 Passat 1.8T that I bought used (39K miles) and it now has 63K on it. I have used Mobil1 from day one, but was planning on trying Royal Purple at my next oil change. Especially after seeing the results of Bob's Timken bearing test on Mobil1, I'm glad I'll be switching, but maybe I want Schaeffers, or Redline, or Amsoil. Nice thing about RP is I can easily get it at NAPA.

Of course no one can tell me what the best oil is, but I'm curious about a few things. The main thing is - Schaeffers looks pretty darn good on the bearing test. But from what I can tell, it's a "dino" oil, which I have gathered may not be the best for a turbo engine. Any comments?

Thanks - Rusty

quote:

Originally posted by rusty:
Hi, all - Just a newbie saying hello. Been lurking for a bit. I have a '98 Passat 1.8T that I bought used (39K miles) and it now has 63K on it. I have used Mobil1 from day one, but was planning on trying Royal Purple at my next oil change. Especially after seeing the results of Bob's Timken bearing test on Mobil1, I'm glad I'll be switching, but maybe I want Schaeffers, or Redline, or Amsoil. Nice thing about RP is I can easily get it at NAPA.

Of course no one can tell me what the best oil is, but I'm curious about a few things. The main thing is - Schaeffers looks pretty darn good on the bearing test. But from what I can tell, it's a "dino" oil, which I have gathered may not be the best for a turbo engine. Any comments?

Thanks - Rusty

As much as I respect Bob and what he's trying to show with the Timken test, I wouldn't infer too much about how well an oil will perform in an engine based on it. The only way I would consider that to be a valid test is if there were controls imposed to measure the pressure being applied to the bearing for each oil, as well as the time each oil was subjected to that pressure. In other words, if Oil A is tested for 20 seconds with the operater pushing down on the lever as hard as he can, and Oil B is stested for 23 seconds with the operator pushing down a little less hard, then the results don't mean a thing because the test conditions were not controlled and were not the same for the two oils. However, if Oil A and Oil B were both tested for 40 seconds with 150 lbs of pressure being applied to the machine lever, then the results would mean something.

If you're getting good service with Mobil 1, stick with it. Schaeffers 7000 oil is a synthetic blend oil and would probably do okay in a turbocharged engine, but if it were mine, I'd stick with the Mobil 1.

Rusty,

Schaeffer motor oils are probably used in more turbo engines than in naturally aspriated engines, speaking of diesels, of course. I'm using Schaeffer 7000 oil in a turbo Volvo with no worries.

Anyway, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the correct grade of Mobil 1 in your engine, or the correct Schaeffer's, or Redline, or RP, or Amsoil (30 wt?...their dual rated diesel/gasoline 5W-30 beats their gasoline 30 wts).

Ken

Rusty

The TDI guys are real high on Delvac 1.

It may be one of the best oil made. But at $25.00 a gallon a little overpriced for a 10k change regiment.

If you decide to go with Delvac 1 try buying the re-badged CAT oil. Same stuff as Delvac 1 just has a CAT label.

I'm just one harvest check short of a TDI Golf. I plan on using Schaeffer's 15w-40 synthetic blend with analysis in the TDI.

The #700 15w-40 and all the Schaeffer's 7000 series meet VW 505 requirements plus more manufactures requirements than any other oil I've seen.

The SuperSyn is better than the TriSyn. Shaeffer's is fine. Delvac 1 is probably one of the best. The 10W-30 Mobil1 is good stuff. Another option is a home brew which adds a quart of 15W-50 Mobil1 with the 10W-30. Many will disagree with this and I respect their opinion and would not argue the point. I do it in 1 Vehicle which has a tendency to use oil.

rusty Bob's Timken test was on pre Supersyn Mobil 1. It's a whole different ballgame now and M1 SS about the best OTC syn. Don't write it off, check the oil analysis section for SS analysis.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
The SuperSyn is better than the TriSyn. Shaeffer's is fine. Delvac 1 is probably one of the best. The 10W-30 Mobil1 is good stuff. Another option is a home brew which adds a quart of 15W-50 Mobil1 with the 10W-30. Many will disagree with this and I respect their opinion and would not argue the point. I do it in 1 Vehicle which has a tendency to use oil.

I don't think the mixing of oil is as harmful as many here say. Sure, if you are going to try a very long 10k or more interval, then it could pose a problem but your oil analysis on this mixture showed no issues Al. I'm trying to convince some of my LS1 friends that mix 15w50 and 10w30 M1 to do oil analysis too (although most of these guys are still stuck doing 3k intervals, ideally I'd like to see an analysis on this mixture over a 6-10k interval)

quote:

I don't think the mixing of oil is as harmful as many here say.

I'm of the same thinking. Maybe my next experiment will be to mix 5 different oils and get analysis on the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back