New Zero Turn Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been researching zero turns a lot over the past several weeks. I'm thinking of going with a 50-54" deck pending brand. I only just today sat on one of them today, but haven't driven any yet.

I've researched Hustler, Dixie, Gravely, Bad Boy, eXmark, Ferris, Kubota and Scag. But I keep ending up back at Bad Boy for the apparent value. The 54" Bad Boy Outlaw with a Kaw FX engine is $7500.

My goals with this mower are speed and life. It must last decades under residential use. I plan to treat it like a garden tractor, so it needs the ability to pull a yard cart loaded with stone or dirt and to put up with a snow blade from Country Zero Turn Equipment.

I know that Hustler, eXmark, Ferris, Scag, etc are the go to good brands, but all the research I've done shows this Bad Boy brand as the sleeper pick.

Yes, this mower is super overkill for my needs. I don't need this level of mower, but I want this level of mower. I am buying something to last and last and last.

My concern with them would be parts availability as it ages. I can still get just about any part for my 40+ year old 210 from the Deere dealer that's a 12 minute drive from here. I don't know what the dealer network is like for the Bad Boy brand of mowers.

My John Deere 757 has well over 1600 hours on it and the only issue (other than normal maintenance) was a head gasket earlier this season. My local Deere dealer had everything in stock except for a replacement head (I decided to replace it since it was slightly warped), and they brought a new head in from another Deere dealership and dropped it off at my home later than day. All told I was down for about 5 hours, 3 of which was waiting for them to deliver the head.

I honestly have never seen a Bad Boy mower dealer around here. According to their website, the closest dealer is 58 miles away-a dealer I've never heard of and who apparently carries the line as a sideline to their normal business. If I had an 8 or 10 year old Bad Boy mower and needed a head and head gasket kit, would they still be around and have the parts on hand with that level of customer service? How about when it's as old as my 210?

As far as using it for snow removal, I don't think any zero turn mower would be suitable for real snow removal. I can pull a small trailer or sprayer with mine, but I'd never consider using it for snow removal. There are much better snow removal options, and if you're considering that then I'd suggest a garden tractor, not a zero turn mower.

I agree with Pop_Rivet, I have a 48" cut Hustler Fastrak SD w/26 hp FX Kawasaki. Great mower but zero turns are just that... Grass mowers in design and function. Pulling trailers, attachments or blowers are best left for equipment made for that purpose. Dealer availability should be considered too. Hustlers are made in Ks and you won't find a dealer just anywhere. Probably similar with BadBoy.

We've got a "Bad Boy" mower dealer, it's a side business, as he sells tires and does automotive repairs.

...and I've heard the chintzy hillbilly commercials, "Bad Boy" mowers just seem like a lot of HYPE.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
I plan to treat it like a garden tractor

Then get a garden tractor. While nothing beats a zero turn for mowing, it's not going to replace the all around capability you get with a garden tractor.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
We've got a "Bad Boy" mower dealer, it's a side business, as he sells tires and does automotive repairs.

...and I've heard the chintzy hillbilly commercials, "Bad Boy" mowers just seem like a lot of HYPE.

I was browsing around YouTube tonight, and I did lose a little respect for them after seeing those commercials lol

While I understand it may not be the best snow mover, I am not trying to move Upstate NY kind of snow. Why would you say to not use it as a snow mover?

Seems the dealer network is not bad around me and the online availability seems to be pretty good too. I'm in the North Eastern part of MD. It seems that they mainly use OEM parts, like Kaw engines and HydroGear pumps, but it would be the deck that could be the problem if something failed their years down the road.

While I understand it may not be the best snow mover, I am not trying to move Upstate NY kind of snow. Why would you say to not use it as a snow mover?

Probably because those who have moved a lot of snow, know what works most effectively and what doesn't.

Let us know how you feel after you've tried out all of those different brands.

The one brand of mower that I've never heard of until today might end up at the bottom of your list.

It is very wise to try a few ZTRs. I didn't try the Cub Z-Force ZTR I had for a few years and I disliked it for my particular usage at the time.

Originally Posted By: JTK

Probably because those who have moved a lot of snow, know what works most effectively and what doesn't.

If I was in your area, I wouldn't even think about using any mower to move snow, unless there was a thrower on the front of it.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Let us know how you feel after you've tried out all of those different brands.

The one brand of mower that I've never heard of until today might end up at the bottom of your list.

I'm assuming that means you've never heard of Bad Boy Mowers?

Originally Posted By: JTK
It is very wise to try a few ZTRs. I didn't try the Cub Z-Force ZTR I had for a few years and I disliked it for my particular usage at the time.

I plan too. This is too big of a purchase to pick based on the specs.

Google Bad Boy Mower Reviews. Go to Lawn Site.com and read what the pros say. Bad Boy is the new kid on the block and they have had growing pains. But, all brands have clinkers and bad design concepts that are tweaked or eliminated.

Observe what the lawn care companies are using in YOUR area. Those are the brands that give value and have a good service network (for the pros). It varies by region.

IF the Bad Boy model you are interested in is significantly cheaper than the others, then zero in on that model and google for problems, staying aware of internet amplification. I think that you can realize the value (cheaper) of this brand IF you accept the possible problems such as parts availability and dealer service support. If you can fix stuff yourself, it's easier to handle some of these problems associated with the Big Boy brand. The monetary savings may cost you some in convenience/time. That's something only you can answer.

They may be fine if you only have a small driveway and only get an occasional inch of snow. While I really like my 757 for mowing, there's simply no way it would handle the long drive, drifts and the heavy, and wet 12+ inches of snow that we get on a regular basis. I would leave the snow moving to equipment more suited to handling it.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Google Bad Boy Mower Reviews. Go to Lawn Site.com and read what the pros say. Bad Boy is the new kid on the block and they have had growing pains. But, all brands have clinkers and bad design concepts that are tweaked or eliminated.

Observe what the lawn care companies are using in YOUR area. Those are the brands that give value and have a good service network (for the pros). It varies by region.

IF the Bad Boy model you are interested in is significantly cheaper than the others, then zero in on that model and google for problems, staying aware of internet amplification. I think that you can realize the value (cheaper) of this brand IF you accept the possible problems such as parts availability and dealer service support. If you can fix stuff yourself, it's easier to handle some of these problems associated with the Big Boy brand. The monetary savings may cost you some in convenience/time. That's something only you can answer.

Thanks. I've been forgetting to checkout that site.

I have a small Ariens ZTR. It's the same as the gravely with different paint, a briggs instead of a kohler, and $100 less. I have been very pleased with it. I've also been very pleased with the briggs -- while they sell this engine as a "consumer" model, it is smooth, consistent, starts easily, consumes no oil, and is surprisingly thrifty on fuel after a couple of years of breaking it in. No hesitation to recommend ariens or gravely.

I have a Big Dog 42" Alpha, and couldn't be happier with it.

They are made by Hustler. Same frames, same Kawasaki engines, same hydro's, etc. Just a different color and not all of the bells & whistles, but made on the exact same assembly line.

Not to mention, the price was great compared to the main-stream brands, even Hustler. lol

What are your lawn mowing needs?

Zero-turns are good for mowing areas with lots of obstacles, but I wouldn't treat one like a garden tractor. That will shorten its life for sure. Hydro pumps are very expensive to replace, and since zero turn mower manufacturers are always coming out with newer and better models, parts for older ones become harder to find, even for the major brand names.

For the price of a decent zero turn you could get a nice heavy duty garden tractor like a John Deere or top of the line Craftsman that will last for decades. These machines have heavy duty frames and transmissions, wide mower decks (50-60"), and well built engines that will hold up for years. I like zero-turns for mowing, but they are useless when plowing snow, too light in the front end to keep the machine going straight, and not enough traction to push more than a few inches of snow.

Our John Deere garden tractor turned 10 years old this year and it runs like it did when it was new. It gets used year round for mowing and snow blowing. Best money ever spent.

I started a thread on LawnSite and talking with various people, I've decided against using it as a plow, but I will plan to use it to tow stuff around the yard and such. I think I'm giong with a 60/61" deck.

I was looking super overkill to help it last longer while moving snow, but now I've knocked it down a notch, saving some money and will use that money for a snow blower.

Current contenders:

Ferris is700
Bad Boy CZT
Gravely Pro Turn
Husqvarna M-ZT
Dixie Chopper Magnum HP, maybe just the Magnum
Hustler Fastrak SD
Scag Freedom Z Pro
Snapper Pro S125xt
Snapper Pro S150xt if the price is right.

I started a thread on LawnSite and talking with various people, I've decided against using it as a plow, but I will plan to use it to tow stuff around the yard and such. I think I'm giong with a 60/61" deck.

I was looking super overkill to help it last longer while moving snow, but now I've knocked it down a notch, saving some money and will use that money for a snow blower.

Current contenders:

Ferris is700
Bad Boy CZT
Gravely Pro Turn
Husqvarna M-ZT
Dixie Chopper Magnum HP, maybe just the Magnum
Hustler Fastrak SD
Scag Freedom Z Pro
Snapper Pro S125xt
Snapper Pro S150xt if the price is right.

All great units will come down to how it's built with what components but the Bad Boy I think can be built with all the same engines and pumps if not better than any of the others and cheaper. I would go Scag or Bad Boy.

I'm almost to the point of saying screw it and buying a Gravely because the dealer is literally around the corner from me. Online reviews say it's a good place to do business, it's a solid brand with solid components. I really need to swing by there, sit on one, see if they will bring it over to my place and let me ride around a bit and just buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back