New Z06 vs Nismo GTR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doodfood hit it on the head. The ZO6 in this vid had the HUGE gurney flap on its butt, definitely a drag factor there.

Two great cars, Nissan has really developed their lil vacuum cleaner into a fantastic performer. But that doesn't change my opinion of it. It's one of those cars that has so much tech it forgot the driver...

Any sub-1:30.xx at Willow Springs is hauling some serious speed. Takes some huevos, too.

I enjoy watching Randy Pobst as he’s always a friendly demeanor and has light touch on the controls whilst exploring the limits.
aside: check out George Lucas' Senior project in college from WSIR, "1:42.08, A Man and his Car."

Sounds like the budget-friendly ‘Vette could use some more aft toe (in) and/or less roll stiffness but chasing down the mighty “no hands”
AWD King Kong GT-R after its years of tweaks and development is no walk in the park.

Upside is the Chevy didn’t unglue itself from any 'faulty filter' a la C/D floggings.
smile.gif

GT-R is a better-balanced and seemingly better-handling car than a Z06. New ZR1 would be a better match-up.

Maybe, in a straight line... the muscle Vette could out-run a GT-R. Which, as forced-induction and powerful as it is.. Turbo always introduces parasitic drain.

Think of when the Twi-Turbo Hennessey Viper SMOKED, by 20MPH, the Bugatti Veyron in a standing mile. 224MPH Viper (! WOW) vs 204MPH Bugatti.

GT-R has also beaten the Bugatti several times. No matter what edition. So has a Koenigsegg.

So... while a Bugatti is "not slow," and comes like that factory, a serious enough car can beat it. Same way Vettes can beat Lamborghinis at the track, too.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The 1/4 mile MPH's don't match the HP ratings. The GT-R, heavier, and with 50 less HP, trapped 2Mph higher. So either it is being under-rated by Nissan, that car is a ringer, or the 'vette isn't putting out its rated power.

GT-R beating a Vette is nothing new. And they have been seriously under-rated by Nissan since their introduction.

I watched a lot of the online Youtube car mags before I got sick of seeing the same thing over and over.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Doodfood hit it on the head. The ZO6 in this vid had the HUGE gurney flap on its butt, definitely a drag factor there.

Two great cars, Nissan has really developed their lil vacuum cleaner into a fantastic performer. But that doesn't change my opinion of it. It's one of those cars that has so much tech it forgot the driver...

Like the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo, right?

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
GT-R has also beaten the Bugatti several times. No matter what edition.

Only if the GT-R is heavily modified.

GT-R is a better-balanced and seemingly better-handling car than a Z06. New ZR1 would be a better match-up.

And even the all aluminum/carbon fiber ZR1 is $20k less than the GT-R, so what's all the hullabaloo?

Maybe, in a straight line... the muscle Vette could out-run a GT-R. Which, as forced-induction and powerful as it is.. Turbo always introduces parasitic drain.

Think of when the Twi-Turbo Hennessey Viper SMOKED, by 20MPH, the Bugatti Veyron in a standing mile. 224MPH Viper (! WOW) vs 204MPH Bugatti.

GT-R has also beaten the Bugatti several times. No matter what edition. So has a Koenigsegg.

So... while a Bugatti is "not slow," and comes like that factory, a serious enough car can beat it. Same way Vettes can beat Lamborghinis at the track, too.

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say in this post
21.gif

Hard to believe the GT-R is faster at Willow. The Vette appears to have tire, weight, brakes advantage. The power is close enough that delivery is more important. The GT-R is better balanced and has a refined set up. Both cars are very impressive, the Vette being almost equal for 2/3 the price is the real story.

The Vette is good and will get better.

But that doesn't change my opinion of it. It's one of those cars that has so much tech it forgot the driver...

x1000! I have NO desire to sit behind the wheel of a computer.
31.gif

I also avoid like the plague ANY car that is the ricer crew's poster child, deity worship ride (see; old GTR 33/34, Supra MKIV TT as well).

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
But that doesn't change my opinion of it. It's one of those cars that has so much tech it forgot the driver...

x1000! I have NO desire to sit behind the wheel of a computer.
31.gif

I also avoid like the plague ANY car that is the ricer crew's poster child, deity worship ride (see; old GTR 33/34, Supra MKIV TT as well).

Bravo. I want my car to tell me what is going on, and then let ME drive!

I like the kind of car the 'vette is. I'm planning on purchasing a convertible 'vette as my next car.

However, it's a dinosaur, chock-a-block full of old school thinking. (fits me well, hahahaha)

The GTR is a stunningly capable car. I live 3 miles from PBIR and watch the GTR's in awe. Turbocharging is a big part of the equation, as is the AWD. Really, the slightly tweaked GTR outperforms even the most exotic street cars that show up.

There was even talk about a street driven GTR that is pushing 200MPH trap speeds. I regularly see street driven GTR's trapping over 155MPH. Stunning indeed.

After all the armchair comments are said and done, I'd really be curious to know (will never find out, of course) how many of the commenters could produce the times that professional drivers do. In other words, does it really matter? Fast as heck is fast as heck.

Last edited:
I love the vette, but I would cheat with this car in a heartbeat. This car was designed to perform.
11294.jpg
And watching a Gixxer get eaten alive is gut wrenching.

The 1/4 mile MPH's don't match the HP ratings. The GT-R, heavier, and with 50 less HP, trapped 2Mph higher. So either it is being under-rated by Nissan, that car is a ringer, or the 'vette isn't putting out its rated power.

Hi, do you know the difference between AWD and RWD?

Originally Posted By: horse123

Yes. Have you ever drag raced? Do you understand the correlation between trap speed and HP? If the answer is no to both of those questions then you have no business questioning me on my statement.

Originally Posted By: horse123

Yes. Have you ever drag raced? Do you understand the correlation between trap speed and HP? If the answer is no to both of those questions then you have no business questioning me on my statement.

+1 and I think it was stupid of him to ask you.

AWD likely hooks up better, perhaps better to jump off the line, though RWD turns into an absolute rocket once it hooks up and the power comes on. .. right?

Originally Posted By: DAC17
After all the armchair comments are said and done, I'd really be curious to know (will never find out, of course) how many of the commenters could produce the times that professional drivers do. In other words, does it really matter? Fast as heck is fast as heck.

Don't you get it? The GTR is like an Evo.. basically anyone can drive it stupid hard. It simply does not leave the road. Unless you aim it at a wall. It does everything.

Evo embarrased a Lamborghini (handsomely, too,) and GTRs can make a Bugatti Veyron look slow. As can a Koenigsegg Agera R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back